question

sal avatar image
sal asked

Question about AC PV coupled setup high-level schematics

For Quattro AC PV coupled setup shown below (source), it seems to me some details are missing (I am ignoring AC Out 2).

Is it the case that for the above setup, only a tap of PV inverter and grid is needed as shown above, and no other re-configuration need to be made to existing PV setup connection. If that is the case, I have edited above image to create another setup image where I have added the following to show existing grid-tie PV inverter connections as well (as understood by me):

- Utility meter in between the grid and other inverters

- Electrical panel, with feedback connection from that panel to the grid via the utility meter (for existing grid-tied PV setup).

I will appreciate confirmation from knowledgable folks if my understanding of connection schematics is correct. If it is incorrect, corrections will be very helpful obviously.

victron-question-1.jpg

AC PV Coupling
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
There is no connection required between the utility meter and the AC-out1 electrical panel. If you want to bypass the inverter / pv combination, then a proper transfer switch must be used. Do consult a qualified electrician before making any changes to your installation. The PV inverter rating must not exceed the Quatro inverter rating, other than that, excess pv can feed back to the grid through the Quatro. Hence a loop connection is not necessary but DANGEROUS as it will connect the grid to the output of the quatro!!
1 Like 1 ·
sal avatar image sal Mike Dorsett commented ·

Seems like it is not clear that I was only adding the details of existing PV inverter setup to original victron setup which seems to leave out the details of how existing PV inverter might be set up with grid, utility meter and electrical panel. I have now added clarification to the post.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers