question

kruger69 avatar image
kruger69 asked

Victron Quattro AC Coupled PV

Hi All,

I am considering the following system topology with an AC coupled 25 kW PV array on AC-Out-1. I am new to the Quattro so bear with me. Under the scenario where both the grid and the diesel generator are disconnected i.e. there is no voltage present on either AC-In-1 or AC-In-2. In this scenario the Quattro will obviously be in Inverter mode and will be acting as the “grid forming entity”. My question is can the batteries still receive charge from the AC coupled PV when the Quattro is in inverter mode (i.e. forming the grid)? Or will PV simply supply the load and if there is excess - over and above what the load consumes - the Quattro will simply use frequency shifting to curtail the PV (will be using Fronius Symo Inverter).

In short, I guess what I’m asking is will it be possible to charge the batteries – assuming they are below max SOC - from the AC coupled PV when the Quattro is in inverter mode and there is no grid or generator connection on the AC side? I’m sorry if this is obvious but it’s the one thing I can’t quite get my head around…. It’s unclear to me whether or not the Quattro allows charging of the batteries from the AC output when in Inverter mode, or whether it simply curtails any excess generation on the output side.

1701198799598.png

AC PV Couplingquattro 10kvaac coupling
1701198799598.png (142.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@kruger69

Yes the AC coupled PV will charge the batteries through the inverter during the power cut if there is excess.

That is why they state it is important the AC PV you choose can be controlled by the system.

It will do that during normal operation as well if there is excess.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Don't forget the factor 1 rule for ACOUT coupled PV. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

With 25kWp on ACout you will cook even a Quattro 48/15000, because if the grid fail, the Quattro has to take over, but can not do a rapid frequency shifting. It take quiet a while.

Better would be, if you connect only 15kWp to the AC out of the Quattro 48/15000 and 10kWp to ACin.

In this case, you can still get 15kW from the solarpanels if the Grid goes down.

The 10kW you could also do DC coupled with a RS45/200 which COULD be the better solution, but it realy depends.

1 comment
2 |3000

kruger69 avatar image kruger69 commented ·
Will be using multiple Quattros in parallel.
0 Likes 0 ·
pletexmatt16 avatar image
pletexmatt16 answered ·

Hi all,

I have the similair question as the @kruger69. I use a single-phase system equipped with 800W Multiplus 24/800 set as ESS and ET340 energy meter which measures grid exchange on L1 and PV inverter on L2. I use 500W third-pary (not Fronius) grid-tie inverter. I see that it is possible to set (in remote console) and connect PV inverter (third-party) on AC out and I tested this and it works very well when the system is in grid-connected mode. When the sytem is in the off-grid or islanded mode (inverter mode of Multiplus), PV inverter as an unit dissapears from the schematic on VRM Portal. It seems that energy meter is not measuring it and it is not present in the system. Based on my knowledge PV inverter is grid-tie and should work since the Multiplus is a grid-forming unit that regulates frequency and voltage.

Is it possible to see (on VRM Portal) PV inverter on AC out when in an off-grid mode?

Thanks in advance.

2 |3000