question

pmacz avatar image
pmacz asked

Best Wiring for Long Circuit to Orion-Tr Smart Charger

A related Q&A I referenced – May 29, 2022, via “…25105/lundy” at:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/127587/orion-tr-smart-charger-12-12-30-isolated-input-neg.html

I am the most novice of beginners - have been following dozens of campervan-build YouTube videos and full-build guides for a year, and have studied even more tech-community forums, but I am still seeking a clear consensus on my very basic questions below, which are similar to “lundy’s” Q&A noted above.

RE: safest and most efficient wiring for ORION-Tr Smart 12/12-30 charger (isolated – though its isolated function is not needed – basic house battery bank set-up via Lynx Distributor, etc.).

My questions in summary:

Will the Orion function reliably at 2% to 3% voltage drop allowance?

What is the best grounding location (to shorten circuit distance or not)?

What is the best incoming AWG wire size in view of optimal (least) voltage drop range over 44-ft circuit length?

Will an additional in-line fuse to match larger gauge wire be needed before the power-post step-down to 6 AWG? (I already have 60-amp fuses and breaker-switch….)

Details:

My build is an OLD rehab’ of 1993 GMC G3500 Ram extended length. House battery bank and its chassis ground are at rear of the van per a custom ground via the Lynx Distributor.

RE: “lundy’s” question about best ground location – unless you (any kind community member) say it’s OK to ground to the Lynx to SHORTEN the circuit length (? – and since the Orion’s device ground is going there?…), I’m presuming I need to run the full large circuit from-to the front starter battery – which is 44 feet round-trip.

I know the Orion-Tr Smart charger accepts no larger than 6 AWG wire.

My van-build guide’s online calculator results for 12VDC @ 30 amps over 44 feet:

6 AWG = 4.5 to 7% voltage drop

4 AWG = 3% to 4% voltage drop

2 AWG = 2% to 2.5% voltage drop

1 AWG = 1.5% voltage drop

2/0 AWG = 1% voltage drop

I have read a few posts where people have had persistent issues with the Orion because of voltage drops, thus my first question: will the Orion function reliably and efficiently at 2% to 3% voltage drop, or do I need to go for minimal voltage drop via 1 or 2/0 wire?

If I go with 4 AWG or 2 AWG (or larger…) wire:

Do I need to add another and larger in-line fuse (appropriate to that wire size) before a power-post step-down to the 6 AWG?

Apologies for the long essay / questions – but I do appreciate anyone with expert knowledge taking time to respond. Thank you in advance….

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I assume you're installing the battery close to the battery.

Most of the voltage drops I can remember are from two causes. Smart alternators and poor connections.

The voltage drop doesn't really affect the Orion. You allow for it in the settings for engine detect and cut out. 5% of, say, 14V is only 0.7V. What it will do is reduce efficiency and increase current to the Orion. However it makes sense to use the largest cable you can here.

The fuse is there to protect cabling so no extra needed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmacz avatar image
pmacz answered ·

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Yes: the Orion is close to the house battery bank, about 36 inches actual circuit run via Lynx Distributor, etc. With engine running, my starter battery puts out a solid, steady 14.75V.

OK (you are educating me...) -- 5% or 0.74% voltage drop still puts out 14V (and even a 7% voltage drop should be around 13.7V). So -- are you saying I can get by with 6 AWG wire (which I already have on-hand)? I would love to save the money, but can go larger if best.

Thanks again for your help and reply!

2 |3000