question

simme avatar image
simme asked

DC-DC Buck Boost in series with Orion-Tr Smart to limit current?

In theory, what would happen if I put, say, any "random" 10A DC-DC converter between my alternator and my Orion-Tr Smart 12|12-18? Would that explode or screw something up? Or would it work as a way of limiting the current drawn from my teeny-tiny alternator?

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That will overload and maybe damage/destroy the small DCDC. If the small DCDC have a protection against overload it will shut down.

As far as I know there is something in development to adjust the current of the Smart Orions, but I don't know if that will be just a firmware update or a new hardware revision and there is also no release date for that.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simme avatar image simme commented ·
That makes sense!

Fingers crossed for a firmware update. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Not a recommendation, but an concept:

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-Waterproof-DC-DC-module-Converter/dp/B017CNAL56

8-40VDC input, 13.8V/5A output - would make a decent float charger

2 |3000