question

gwilliamsonttu avatar image
gwilliamsonttu asked

Why is my Orion charger cycling?

Hello all,

I have a Orion-Tr 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger, Non-Isolated connected to a truck. Historically, I haven't had any issues with it. Recently however, the amperage seems to be cycling on and off in short intervals when the truck is on and the charger is connected. The displayed charge state (bulk) doesn't change when connected via Bluetooth, and the truck alternator voltage doesn't seem to fluctuate either. It doesn't appear to be impacted by battery state of charge.

The other end of the system contains a MultiPlus II, 600Ah of Battleborn batteries, a SmartShunt, and 3x SmartSolar controllers.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this might be occurring? Screenshot of the cycling from the SmartShunt attached.screenshot-20220721-084331.png

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks like you're overloading the Orion, it's cutting the current until it cool down. Hard to tell exactly, but it looks as if you are drawing about 45A out of it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gwilliamsonttu avatar image gwilliamsonttu commented ·

Thanks for the reply - looking at the actual numbers its pulling about the rated amperage of the charger of 30 amps

0 Likes 0 ·