question

jbrop avatar image
jbrop asked

Blue Smart IP22 Charger | Current jumping up and down

Hi there,

I have been having an issue with this charger for some time now where it starts perfectly fine for the first 10-15 minutes (please see screenshot 01 attached) and then starts jumping up and down (Please see recording attached). I have placed it in 'night mode' ( Please see screenshot 02 attached) where it seems to give me a steady 15A without dropping but naturally I'm keen to get as close to the full 30A that the charger is capable of giving.

I have the Victron MPPT and Orion and between the both I rarely had need of the IP22 but I'm nearly certain this 'jumping of current was not happening for the first few months of installation.

Worth noting, though the charger comes with a blade fuse of it's own, I have installed a breaker on the positive line to my Lynx Distributor, not sure if this could be causing issue?

Any insights would be amazing - thanks!

JamesScreenshot 01.jpgScreenshot 02.jpgScreen recording 01.mp4

bluesmart ip22ip22
screenshot-01.jpg (73.6 KiB)
screenshot-02.jpg (83.4 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @Jbrop

What type of battery do you have? Does it perhaps have an internal BMS or do you have an external BMS?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
jbrop avatar image jbrop Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

I have 2 x Victron 170ah AGM super cycle batteries with a 500 A smartshunt. I had purchased and installed a new IP22 since writing this, but got the same 'rapidly fluctuating' voltage. I then removed the inline breaker that I had put on the positive from the charger to the Lynx Distributor and the problem disappeared.

My question now is if it is safe to move forward without the additional breaker on this line. I understand there is a fuse in the IP22 itself (and I installed a consumer unit w/breaker on the line from the mains to the charger) but I have read mixed reviews on the need for a breaker from the charger to the busbar?

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Jbrop

Good to hear that you found the problem. Regarding the breaker I would advice you to contact an installer to get an answer on that.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers