question

electrickety avatar image
electrickety asked

Will 1 x Pylontech UP5000 with a MultiPlus II 48/3000/35-32 230V GX be ok for 1kWh needs?

Hi all,

I've searched the forum for an answer, but it seems there are some conflicting opinions on whether or not it is ok to run a single Pylontech UP5000 battery with the MultiPlus II 48/3000/35-32 230V GX as a grid-down backup system with no solar panels, just charging from the grid.

I did see that on the Pylontech compatibility page it says that for this inverter, two Pylontech modules should be used, but it would be great if I could stick with this unit and I also don't really have the budget for two seperate batteries, so I'm hoping I could get by with this setup.

If I can get by on this setup, would I void any warranty from Pylontech or Victron?

If you do have any other suggestions, my requirements are 1kWh (3 x desktop PC's, a fridge and some lightbulbs) for 4 hours each time, 3 times a day, with 4 hours in between of active grid.

I was looking at the MultiPlus 48/2000/25 as an alternative but would I need to purchase a Cerbo GX with that? I'm not particularly thrilled by this option due to the charge rate and overall increase in price for the setup, should I also require a Cerbo GX.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Multiplus-IIPylontech
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

electrickety avatar image electrickety commented ·
Thanks again everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Th UP variant was an earlier model, it discharges at 50A, @48V that is 2400VA, beneath the inverter rating and well beneath the surge rating. You should use a GX so the battery manages the system, that is how it is supposed to work and the best practice.

I would rather use the US5000C variant which has better performance, but since we can't can't get them here in SA, I opted for the BYD, which was was not far off in price but had way better discharge specs, cycles and min discharge/SOC thresholds.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You'll have to do the maths. Sum all loads in watts over time. Compare to usable battery capacity. Also convert to loads into current at battery voltage and check its rated sustained current.

Same for the charging side.

You don't have to have a GX device, but it's strongly recommended.

2 |3000

atebee avatar image
atebee answered ·

A single US5000 connected to a MP II 3000 should be fine, have used that setup myself.

The US5000 has a continuous discharge rating of 50A and maximum of 100A. So at 50V that is 2500W or 5000W.

Max continuous power of the MP II 3000 is 2400W so the battery is well within its limits.

3 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Peak power is 5500W. So for most use cases it will work. For unexpected issues you may have stability problems- grid brown outs for one.

The BMS will via DCL limit it to 50A so while the battery may accept a transient, if it is sustained, the inverter is unlikely to be happy with it. Undersizing is less of an issue grid connected. Off grid is a different beast, and a bad grid/backup is effectively off-grid when you really need it.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
According to the manual, the US5000 has a max continuous of 100A, but 80A is recommended. I see 80A or higher DCL most of the time.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There have been changes, but there is a UP5000, US5000 and a US5000C..
0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

the pylontech compatibility page states a minimum of 2 based on the US 2000, so a single US5000 is fine

a multiplus 2 gx version is indeed cheaper/simple solution

like @kevgermany stated: do the math if its enough backup power!

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I would do the maths on the gx as well. They actually used to be the same cost apart as together, maybe that changed. In return you get way better flexibility, connectivity and performance if you decide to make changes later.
0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

in the netherlands a multiplus 2 gx vs multiplus 2 is €100 more

a cerbo is around €200, so difference is not that much,

flexibilty with possible future changes/expansions of the system is better with cerbo indeed!

0 Likes 0 ·
jkkm avatar image
jkkm answered ·

There is Pylontech firmware available for the UP5000 which raises it to 0.9C charge/discharge The Pylontech UP5000: upgraded! | SegenSolar

2 |3000