question

drofwaves avatar image
drofwaves asked

Need help choosing a charger.

Hello, my boat is an offshore cruising sailboat currently configured as follows:

5.0 KW 120V Northern Lights Generator

50 Hp beta with 120a Balmar Alternator and Voltage Regulator

Victron 12/50 charger

Vintage Battery Isolator

400 watt wind generator

4xgroup 31 Lifeline AGM house bank

1xgroup 31 Lifeline AGM start

no solar

Presently I have no means other than system voltage to monitor power distribution. I am planning to install a fresh set of AGMs and would like to set the foundation for a lithium conversion next set of batteries.

My plan is to install a smart shunt, battery isolator, Cerbo and a new charger.

Any advise would be appreciated,

thanks,

scott

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @DrOfWaves

What your system seems to lack is a Multiplus. A charger with an inverter thrown in as a bonus. :)

Presumably you need the genset for your ac loads, but a Multiplus would change that. It could serve ac needs while the batteries are still capable, then when in need of charge would use the genset, which will also passthrough to serve ac loads at the same time. And the genset can be set to cruise at it's optimum power output, saving fuel and running time too.

The Cerbo would then have something to do, it's somewhat lost without a Multiplus (or Quattro, which has 2x ac inputs).

120V ac isn't in my comfort zone, but check the Victron website for available models and plenty of info. You'll likely have more questions, just ask..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.