question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

What is powering my AC/DC loads in this Remote Console view?

Batteries just charged up to full and the MPPT went from throttling from 6KW coming in to just a few watts as the batteries requested less, and then it stopped charging and started showing -16W for some reason. If we turn on a bigger AC load the MPPT then starts supplying power.

But I'm trying to figure out what is powering our AC and DC loads here when the MPPT shows -16W and the battery shows no charge or discharge? Something is powering the loads since it all works, but is the Victron system not able to identify it, or am I just reading this wrong?

The loads are the Quattro 15K and the MPPT RS and an Orion 48/48 that is supplying power to a Starlink dish and then a few small loads around the cabin.

I would *think* the MPPT would be allowing in some of the PV to supply the AC/DC loads, and maybe that is what is happening, it's just odd that it shows -16W though. The sun is out and the MPPT has access to KWs of PV btw.

https://youtu.be/L1_8uHdpYNI

remote console
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@AlaskanNoob

Is there something measuring that DC load like a shunt?

[Edited]

0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I think you're referring to the DC load and if so, no. It's just a setting in the Cerbo that I think calculates what the DC load must be.

What confuses me is that the power for AC and DC loads must come from somewhere. So I would expect to see either a discharge on the battery or a value in the MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
What batteries? What is selected as battery monitor in the settings of the GX device?
0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

It's Pylontech US5000 batteries connected via BMS.CAN.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob answered ·

I think the answer is that the MPPT is supplying the power as would be expected. But right about 98% the console needs to be read a bit differently. The DC power section becomes a negative number.

Any negative number in DC power is actually positive power being supplied by the MPPT and any negative number in PV should be subtracted from that number to get what the MPPT is actually supplying to the system.

https://youtu.be/RzmmlU371bU?si=qRc1KH_ZgxiCTX58

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob answered ·

Now that the batteries are no longer at 100%, the display makes more sense to me.

There are 286W of AC load and 163W of DC load (total of 449W of load) and the battery shows it's discharging 476W given it's dark and there is no sun. The battery is discharging 27W more than the AC/DC loads (perhaps that is the power to run the MPPT and Quattro).

power.jpg

power.jpg (31.7 KiB)
2 |3000