question

goon326 avatar image
goon326 asked

Orion DC DC and Multiplus second output

Hello,

I have connected my orion DC DC as in the manual, and I have connected the positive second output of the multiplus to the positive pole of my starter battery.

First, Is it correct that there is always power on the second output of the multiplus? Even if I have no AC shore power connected to the multiplus it will give a voltage, which leads my Orion to get power, even when the starter battery is disconnected. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? And can I program the second ouput?

Thanks!

orion-tr smartmultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
t2000-au avatar image
t2000-au answered ·

Hello goon326.
Long time stalker here and first time that I have felt confident enough to answer a question - lol.
Reading the manual and testing my multiplus ii; I can confirm that the "second output of the multiplus" (trickle charge port) has the house battery voltage regardless of the status of the multiplus (on/off/charger only). The output is 4A.

There is no inbuilt way to control the output of that port (AFAIK).

However the "Alarm"/ relay port of the multiplus (right next to the trickle charge connector) can easily be used to power the solenoid of a relay to switch the trickle charge connection to the start battery as required. This will require programming of the relay - see here for more info:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/55076/multiplus-ii-alarm-contact-aux-relay-does-it-have.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

goon326 avatar image
goon326 answered ·

Thanks, does this work the same way for the old multiplus?

Or can I also use this relay?

img-2040.jpeg

img-2040.jpeg (2.3 MiB)
2 |3000