question

h2009 avatar image
h2009 asked

200amp fuse arc question - 3 phase 10kva

Hi I just want to check something out with everyone.

When my system is fully switched off (ie for system physical changes). And I come to do the turn on, I always get arc flash when pushing in the fuses on the positive side of the inverters.

Is this normal or should I be concerned with this?

Is there anyway to avoid this?

img-5302.jpeg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger3 phasemegafuse
img-5302.jpeg (1.3 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @h2009

It's normal. The Quattros filling large capacitors.

A 48V spark can be a nasty one though, can damage metals, even stainless threads. The current can overload Li batt bms's, etc.

You could use a precharge circuit with a resistor to dodge the spark, either permanently wired in or a 'jumper lead' sort of thing. Depends how often you want to do this.

You could google 'precharge circuit' to see what others do, even makers of 'prechargers'.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

h2009 avatar image
h2009 answered ·

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting this, it’s ashame there isn’t a VE solution for this or away to avoid it if the shutdown is done in a particular method. As long as it doesn’t damage the inverters that’s my main concern.

Battery overload isn’t my concern as I’ve got plenty of banks.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
What batteries are you using?

You shouldn't push fuses in with the DC bus live. But with some banks like lead acid it is unavoidable.

With lithium it is connected everything then switch on.

0 Likes 0 ·
h2009 avatar image h2009 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I've got 16x PylonTech US5000

This is my startup process - do you see issues with this?

1. Insert battery circuit breakers between batteries and lynx power in
2. Switch on batteries as per pylon tech manual
3. Check cerbo is flashing, Log onto GX console > Device List > Pylon Tech Batteries > Details 4. Check that all batteries are present then GX console > Device List > notifications ‘No Alarms’ 5. Insert Battery Circuit Breaker between Multi Plus II’s and Lynx Distributor
6. Turn on the Multi’s Plus II one by one ‘order’ L1, L2, L3
7. Check no alarms GX console > Device List > notifications ‘No Alarms’
8. Turn on AC MIB
9. Check no alarms GX console > Device List > notifications ‘No Alarms’

10. Turn on AC MOB ‘Check that the house is powered’

0 Likes 0 ·