question

trschendel avatar image
trschendel asked

Ignore AC Virtual Switch not accounting for loads on L2

I have MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 120/240V running Firmware version 506. Im trying to use Ignore AC Input Virtual Switch to prioritize solar consumption when plugged into and paying for shore power. The Virtual Switch will work as long as the loads are on L1. If the loads are only on L2 and higher than load condition the switch will not respect the loads and drop the AC connection. This has resulted in system overloads shutting down the system. How do I insure the loads on L2 are included in the load calculation?

ignore-ac.png

virtual switchac ignoresolar wind priority
ignore-ac.png (98.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The 120x2 Multi has only a pass thru for L2. There's no metering on this path as far as I know so there is no way to do what you want.

You would need to replace the 120x2 with separate Multis for each phase.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trschendel avatar image trschendel commented ·
@Kevin Windrem Thank you for your input. That would explain what i'm seeing. Surprising that a company focused on solar would not provide a better way to prioritize solar consumption.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ trschendel commented ·
@trschendel

Look in the Advanced tab of VEConfigure.

Also, setting your Multi's Abs and Float targets V's very slightly lower than the solar charger's will give solar priority. That won't stop them charging together before the targets are reached, but will work once you get there.

0 Likes 0 ·
trschendel avatar image trschendel JohnC ♦ commented ·
@JohnC I have adjusted float values and I have tried the solar priority function which works fine, but my challenge is that most of my loads are on the A/C side of the system. Residential fridge, air conditioners ect. My solar would recharge the batteries by 10am. I'm burning AC power with no way to supplement that with excess from my solar power when plugged in and paying for shore power. I've tried tried Ignore AC to use more on the DC power but it wont measure consumption on L2 which causes other problems. I have now tried ESS which is working well, but should not be used in a mobile application.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem trschendel commented ·
Remember the 120x2 is just one inverter/charger. Two inverter/chargers are needed for true split-phase functionality. The Victron 120x2 is precisely what others in the RV market are doing so this product was needed to be competitive.

Victron does offer a proper solution. It's just requires two inverter/chargers so is quite a bit more money.

You could also wrap transformers around a single inverter/charger to deal with split phase in and out.

0 Likes 0 ·
trschendel avatar image trschendel Kevin Windrem commented ·

@Kevin Windrem The Victron 120x2 is really the perfect system for what I need. A split phase system would be over kill. Ignore AC would do most of what I need if it would measure all the power consumption instead of just half. Being competitive works until another company builds what the consumer really needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
carlrx7 avatar image
carlrx7 answered ·

Disconnect/break the L2 input. It will all be powered from L1. Less grid power but it’s a workaround.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE Configure/Virtual Switch

Ignore AC input using the Generator Assistant

Solar and wind priority documentation