question

andre-van-staden avatar image
andre-van-staden asked

Charging trouble

Blue smart IP22 charger 12/30 (1). The charger is charging only 2 hours on Li-ion preset, and then it stops. The charging starts at 13.1 volts, and then after 2 hours, when the voltage reaches 13.4 volts, it stops. It is not charging the battery to full capacity.

I use custom settings to get the battery fully charged. I changed the voltage to 13.8 volts according to Vision recommendations. I preset the absorb time to 6 hours, and the tail end to 0.1 amp. It is the only way to charge the battery fully. It charges at about 15 amp. Half the battery charger potential. The charger stops charging before the preset time expires. It is when it reaches 13.8 volt.

I do not think it is the battery BMS that is the problem.

When I use Li-ion preset, it charges at about 25 amp. When I use custom settings it charges at about 15 amp. Can you explain why?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Martin (Victron Energy) avatar image
Martin (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Andre van staden,

Could you measure the voltage on the battery terminals and on the terminals of the charger when it is charging? Please also share a screenshot of VictronConnect live data during charging and from the charge cycle history.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andre-van-staden avatar image andre-van-staden commented ·

Why do you want volt readings? If there was a hardware problem, it is not going to charge in the first place. The inverter has a volt meter, and the volt is going up when it charges. The battery is charging.

The main problem is that it is not charging bulk at all. It does not matter if I use Li-ion preset or any custom settings. It also charges too short on Li-ion preset. It does not matter how deep the battery has discharged.

I want to know why there is an amp charging difference of about 10 amp between Li-ion preset and custom settings. I set the voltage at 13.8 according to the manufacturer recommendation.

status-screen-shot.jpg

graph-screen-shot.jpg

history-screen-shot.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru andre-van-staden commented ·

Hi @Andre van staden

He wanted the voltages in order to see the voltage drop on you wires.

To check if it's not a bad soldering or crimping somewhere or a bad wire or contact.

Please measure those too...

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·