question

glopez avatar image
glopez asked

ESS Layout with lead (gel) battery

Hello,

A generic recommandation is to avoid locate lead batteries under a multiplus because of H2 generation during charging.

For a lack of space, I had to put the 250 A.h 12V Gel batteries right under the multiplus.

As ATEX norm is applicable only above a 10 kW charging power, is this implantation really risky ? Do you have some experience with similar implantation (boat, van,..) ?

Regards,

G.Lopez

implantation.png

battery charging
implantation.png (11.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@GLopez

It is not generic, but for actual reasons. And the reasons are not as uncommon as you think.

1. Offgassing and corrosion.

You can have fans to clear the gasses to reduce this issue and charge them correctly (no excessive bulk and temp compensated charging, no over amping) to prevent any excessive gassing. (Good anyway since you want the longest lifespan you can get)

2. If batteries catch fire/explode, it affects the inverter and worse.... to get to it to switch it off is more dangerous.

There are probably other reasons those are the main 2.

I mean you can still do it. just be aware that you will need to do some other things to keep safe.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

glopez avatar image glopez commented ·

@Alexandra Thanks for your quick feedback.

Even with a charging current of C/10 (25A for 250A.h batteries = 1200W under 48V) you or Victron have a bad experience of this layout ?

Regards,

G.Lopez

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ glopez commented ·
I have not personally had a bad experience.

I have just seen and heard some things.

Offgassing happens during charging. I know there are standards just how much gas is affected by how fast it is charged.

Just make sure it is vented.

If going 24v/48v use balancers.

I have seen 12v system exploded batteries. Battery faults are also a thing.

0 Likes 0 ·
glopez avatar image
glopez answered ·

Ok, thanks for your support

2 |3000