question

danielson89 avatar image
danielson89 asked

How to make a Cerbo GX terminators for V.E Can

Hi All,

I've struggled to find clear guide on how to make those terminators for the Cerbo V.E Can ports i'm using the Multi RS 2 tracker. I'm aware you can buy them pre-made which is the best option but for me to drive over 2 hours for the nearest dealer for a 16 dollar item.... you get the idea...

Be aware - make at own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!

REM -----------------------
REM Items needed to complete job
REM -----------------------

2x RJ45 Modular Plug Cat6 or 5x if you stuff it up
2x 0.25w 120r ohm resistors. ( NOT 2x 60ohm resistors.)
Item I purchased and worked well is 120r 0.25W 1% Metal Film Resistor

Credit to: Alex Pescaru for picking up the typo 120r ohm resistors.

Carefully run the pins of the resistors into ports 7 and 8 and them carefully crimp them using the crimping tool and double check it crimped fine and you can probably run a ohm meter over it to check it the pins are sitting correctly.

I had a few goes because the resistor legs somehow crossed over and were touching each other and one of the resistor legs were not in perfect contact with pin 7.

1707379131203.png

I'm sure some of you know how to do this but no one really shared it.

A question I was asked why I didn't use the ones that didn't come with it, I didn't get them as they forgot to include them when I brought it. I brought it second hand from the supplier that sold me the new RS Multi, which is bleedin awesome!!

Thanks

Dan

cerbo gxmppt rsrj45 cable
1707379131203.png (162.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

Quote: Item I purchased and worked well is 120k 0.25W 1% Metal Film Resistor

It's a typo above?

You purchased 120k (kilo-ohm) resistors or 120 ohms resistors?

If you used 120 kiloohms resistors, it may seems to work now, but the CAN bus will be very susceptible to EMI.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danielson89 avatar image danielson89 commented ·
Good pick up, they were the 120r not k
0 Likes 0 ·
Gave credit to you in the post
0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru danielson89 commented ·

Many thanks but was unnecessary... Just wanted to help. :-))

1 Like 1 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

I'm curious why you didn't just use the terminators that are included with the Cerbo?

2 comments
2 |3000

I purchased it 2nd hand from the supplier that sold me the new RS Multi. At the time they didn't have new ones in stock but had one second-hand one at a $200 discount but they forgot to include the terminators.
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ danielson89 commented ·

Ahhhh dang, that's unfortunate. Well good on you for making it work anyway!

0 Likes 0 ·