question

Stefan avatar image
Stefan asked

equipment needed for safe initial charge of smart lithium batteries

I want to make sure I'm properly doing the initial charge on my Victron Lithium Smart batteries. I have two 25.6v 200Ah batteries that will be wired in series. The battery manual strongly recommends doing the initial charge with a BMS, and the example shows an IP43 charger and the Small BMS. The professional video about batteries also suggests this combination. This would be about $400 for something I will use once. My system includes a Lynx Smart BMS. My dealer suggested an IP67 Smart charger for the initial charge, but it's not clear that I can use a BMS with that charger (and I prefer not to charge without the BMS). What is a cost-effective way to safely complete the initial charge of these batteries?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@stefanm

What are the components of the system you are planning to install it in? Will the battery have control over that system?

The manual recommends each battery be charged as individuals before connecting in series, so technically any charger programmed correctly would work. I am going to say there is more emphasis on the initial individual charge (and balancing) of the units. We can help more if we know what else is going to be connected to them.

You could always do a cheeky ask of the dealer to do the initial charge for you. They most likely have the correct equipment.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jamal avatar image jamal commented ·

@Alexandra

I am in the same boat. I purchased this system https://www.vanlifeoutfitters.com/store/discounted-secondary-alternator-electrical-bundle-48-volt/

Looking for way to hopefully charge with what I have without the need to buy a seperate charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ jamal commented ·

@Jamal

I use my ip65 charger for a bunch of things. One is vehicle battery charging. Have saved a bunch of people with it. (And myself)

So single use not so. And it was way less than the phoenix. It is not BMS controlled but the initial charge can be done without it if you watch it like a hawk

At the end of the day batteries are a huge investment a few dollars more is worth it to do the initial charge right.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefan avatar image
Stefan answered ·

Hi, thanks. The battery manual says “Always use a BMS-controlled charger when individually charging lithium batteries.” I would like to follow this recommendation. Also, it will not be possible for me to continually monitor the charging. I will have a Multiplus-II 48/5000 as my inverter/charger and a SmartSolar MPPT charge controller.

2 |3000

jamal avatar image
jamal answered ·

I am also in this same boat. @stefanm did you find a solution to this? I definitely do not want to spend another 400 dollars on something I will use one time.

2 |3000

delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

I think I'd put a meter on them and if they're at the same voltage, just install them and charge them using the same equipment that will be charging them for the next however many years.

Surely the BMS you are installing should ensure that any balancing needed takes place?

2 |3000

Stefan avatar image
Stefan answered ·

I have heard from different suppliers:

-don't worry about it, you can use an IP65 charger and leave it overnight (not what the manual says)

-you can set up a BMS-controlled charging system using an IP67 charger, a BMS, and a Battery Protect (not clear to me how)

-take them to a local dealer and ask them to charge the batteries

-use an IP43 charger and SmallBMS (this is the expensive option that is specifically mentioned in the Victron professional video on the batteries). Connect the BMS (using the charge disconnect output) to the charger with a length of 16 or 20 awg wire, and power the BMS with a ve.can power cable with the end cut off (Victron does not make a power cable specifically for the SmallBMS).

This is only what I've heard. I am hoping to confirm some of this today, and will update if I learn anything. Good luck!

2 |3000

Related Resources