question

Randy Repass Jr avatar image
Randy Repass Jr asked

Mastervolt alternator and Victron Color Control 0% when 100%

I just connected up my Mastervolt high output low rev alternator (I have a low rev Gardner 6cylinder engine) on my vessel and there’s no registering of positive input to the colour control. What I mean is, it only ever reduces in % while under way. Today, after several days off shore power and relying the alternator the batteries went up to 27.9v which is 100% according to the manufacturer. But the colour control says I’ve 0%.

I have 200ah of lithium batteries.

Any thoughts? I did reset the Victron system to factory defaults to see if that would correct it, but no joy.

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

My thought would be to check the shunt for your BMV and ensure that ALL system negatives run through the "load" side of the shunt. The only thing that should be connected to the negative on your battery bank is one cable that runs to the "battery" side of the shunt, and all other negatives including the Multi, all chargers including solar or alternator, your "chassis" grounds, negative busbars, all load grounds, literally every single DC negative needs to be connected to the "load" side of the shunt.

The BMV can't measure a charge that isn't passing through it, so if the bank is being charged by a source it can't "see" (because the negative of that source is bypassing the shunt), then the BMV can't see or record the charge and will report the batteries as discharged... your CCGX is getting the data from the BMV and displaying that accordingly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Please could you describe your system in more detail.
We can't tell what the battery monitor is. Do you have a BMV? Perhaps you have a MultiPlus or Quattro whose internal battery monitor is the default.

1 comment
2 |3000

Randy Repass Jr avatar image Randy Repass Jr commented ·

I have a multiplus 24/3000/70 & a BMV 702 & the Color control.

0 Likes 0 ·