question

zucca avatar image
zucca asked

Pulse Meter in VRM/Cerbo counting the grid meter Wh [1Kh]

Seems like I am the first one to do this, I hope not so please tell me.

Because of this

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/259140/ess-grid-set-point-without-net-metering.html

I studied and analyzed my grid meter....

I am happy to report to have am infrared test led on my grid meter:

1707022462546.png

and I verified it works!

Maybe other meters have something similar... for not invasive diagnose (nothing to unscrew or remove the tamper..).

Since what ends up in the electric bill is what the grid meter reads... I think it is important to keep track on how fast the grid meter numbers are counting up.... directly on the power company grid meter!

I will soon design a board to generate a 3.3V pulse each infrared pulse... easy....

To Victron eng:

1) Please allow a user defined string for unit: having Wh in m3 is a sad story to tell.

1707024110935.png

2) What is the counter max value? And then it starts from 0 again?

3) Anything special I need to implement/know for the HW board design?

4) It could be very interesting for a (dynamic) ESS installation, so why not rethink the pulse counter as not just a liquid flow meter, but something more important that could/should show up in the main VRM page?

5) Maybe a help to fine tune the ESS grid set point?

Stay tuned for updates...

ESSEnergy Meterdynamic essess settings
1707022462546.png (171.3 KiB)
1707024110935.png (12.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@zucca Just be aware that digital pulse counting is not available on gen 1 Cerbo units. Pulse counting is only available on Ekrano GX, Cerbo GX MK2 and Venus GX models.

GX product range.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zucca avatar image
zucca answered ·

Easy... I buy the new one and sell the old one.

Murphy always gets me.

2 |3000

zucca avatar image
zucca answered ·

Murphy always gets me PART II

Installed Cerbo MK2, two days ago.

Power company tech came today and replace the old meter with a smarter one...

Honeywell A4RES

Looks like it still has an optical port in the front, but I have no pdf...

According to the predecessor manual, it should do the same: a pulse at every Kh defined.

The only good news is that now I have a 7.2Kh, which should be 7.2 time more accurate than the older one...

The adventure continues.

2 |3000