question

davidizen avatar image
davidizen asked

Cerbo GX shows no value for AC Input or AC Loads, inverter shows as always 'off'

Hi,

I can see various similar questions have been asked before, with (so far as I have found) no definitive answer. If there's nothing left to try, I think I can assume the Cerbo GX is faulty and will try and replace it.

I have a Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50, with PV input (4kWh via a couple of MPPT 150/45s) and AC-out powering my garage. When the install was new, a few years ago, I temporarily connected the grid to the AC-in to charge a couple of 5.12kW batteries. Since then I've relied on solar to provide the power.

Over the weekend I fitted an EV NS and permanently connected the AC-in. Everything works fine.

My question is, the Cerbo, and VRM console, have never shown any data for AC Input or AC Loads. This hasn't been an issue in the past as I can see the PV being generated and can see what the batteries are pulling so know the load is the difference between the two. Although the EV NS shows up with it's own load figures, it appears sometimes there's a 600w difference between what the batteries are pushing and what the NS claims to be using, part of which (normally just 100-200w) will be the garage load.

Per the screenshot, the VRM has never shown the AC Input, has never shown the AC Loads and also always appears to show the inverter is 'off' - which is clearly not the case.

When I was configuring the permanent AC-in over the weekend I was using VictronConnect on my PC which, per the attached screenshot, displays the AC-in and AC Loads figures accurately.

Can anyone think of anything to try before I report the Cerbo as faulty? It is under warranty.

Many thanks

David

SSVC.pngIMG3521.jpegIMG3523PNG

Help
ssvc.png (83.6 KiB)
img3521.jpeg (2.6 MiB)
img3523.png (357.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
davidizen avatar image
davidizen answered ·

Thanks to everyone for their input on this, I'm pleased to say the issue is resolved.

I got in touch with Victron Support and Midsummer Energy were excellent in having a look at the system then arranging a replacement Cerbo. Grid and AC Loads now appear, and the inverter status is shown as something other than 'off'.

img-3577.png

img-3577.png (377.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Does the device list on the cerbo remote console show an inverter?

If not, is it connected via a vebus cable to the vebus ports?

If it is then change the RJ45 cable, else install one if it is missing.

Might also be worthwhile confirming what firmware you are running on the multi.

Also, you can't connect a multi to both a Cerbo and a mk3, it's one or the other.

5 comments
2 |3000

davidizen avatar image davidizen commented ·
Thanks Nick

No, the inverter doesn't show as a device on the remote console, nor is it listed as a device in the VRM device list.

The inverter connects to the Cerbo via RJ45; I'll need to check when I get home to be 100% sure, but I think there's only one place it can connect on the inverter, and I'm pretty sure I have it connected on the VE.Bus directly behind the RJ45 connection on the Cerbo that goes to the network switch.

You mention a Vebus cable - I'm pretty sure the unit came with a flat RJ45 cable and (perhaps because I wasn't sure it was working) I changed it for a regular RJ45 (patch) cable. I'd like to think I'd have checked to see how the supplied RJ45 (vebus) cable was wired, but wouldn't swear to it, so perhaps the supplied cable is unique?

I did firmware updates recently (and the Cerbo this morning) but because the multi doesn't appear in the VRM it wouldn't have been updated. I presume I can check when I get home this evening with VictronConnect.

Should the multi show up as a device under VRM/Local - because it's never done that?

Interesting about it being either Cerbo or mk3 - I noticed yesterday when using VictronConnect (and mk3) that the Cerbo was no longer updating so power cycled the Cerbo and thought they were then both working, but perhaps the mk3 was no longer showing realtime data!

Thanks again, will update later.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ davidizen commented ·

Check you haven't accidentally put the vebus cable into a wrong port on the Cerbo, often it is a simple explanation, and the device has a few ports.

The multi has 2 vebus ports, either works - it uses a normal RJ45 cable, nothing special about it.

Re patch cables, you do get crossover variants for networking, so after checking ports, find a network cable you have confidence in, and see if that works.

It is rare for a port to pop, tends to be cables or the wrong port on the cerbo - with bms/ve can, LAN etc all using the same RJ45 type, mistakes happen.

If you have had both the mk3 and cerbo connected, that will cause issues, so best remove the mk3 from the inverter until you get the Cerbo working, restart the cerbo after doing so, though it usually should just appear.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

It is normal for the Cerbo to not get data from the inverter when the MK3 is plugged in.

If you intend to firmware update use victron connect. It is easier than using ve flash and other methods. Don't forget to reprogram after.

I usually unplug the GX from the inverter when using the MK3.

1 Like 1 ·
davidizen avatar image davidizen Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Good to know, thank you.

This evening I'll disconnect the GX from the inverter, update the inverter firmware via VictronConnect then disconnect the MK3 and see what I might have done to stop the GX recognising the inverter over vebus!

0 Likes 0 ·
davidizen avatar image davidizen nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you again - I'll get the firmware updated this evening and will check the vebus cabling between inverter and Cerbo. Noted about the mk3 - will use one or the other!
1 Like 1 ·
davidizen avatar image
davidizen answered ·

Now I’m properly confused.

I went to disconnect the Multiplus to Cerbo vebus cable and the MK3 lost connection - for VictronConnect to work - and perhaps I have this connected wrong - I need an RJ45 from multi to GX, then RJ45 from GX to MK3.

From what had been said before, I needed to have one or the other (MK3 or GX), but surely I need both connections (multi-GX-MK3) for VictronConnect to work? Otherwise VictronConnect can’t see the multi….

Anyway, after updating the firmware and re-applying my settings, I disconnected the MK3 and attempted to get the GX to recognise the multi. I tried 3 RJ45 cables, the current one, a brand new cable and the original flat cable, in each of the 4 combinations of 2x multi RJ45 sockets and 2x GX vebus sockets. Nothing made a difference and at no point did the multi appear.

Not sure if it’s relevant but after each change I power cycled the GX and when the blue square representing the multi first appears it says something like ‘unidentified’ before changing to ‘off’ when clearly it isn’t.

I’m now completely confused. I assumed either the ports or communication protocols had to be faulty, but surely I’ve proven they’re working by the fact VictronConnect on the MK3 works by the multi sending data to the GX and the MK3 sending that data to the PC?
I am convinced I have the correct vebus ports - the 2 closest to the GX Ethernet port, but on the row behind.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received!

9 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Victron connect isn’t supposed to be permanently connected, it is for applying changes or settings, when needed.

You can only have one link connected at a time, in case I am misunderstanding, connecting both vebus ports to both cerbo ports will not work.

Are you positive it is in a vebus port on the cerbo and nothing else is using the other one?

Perhaps send some pics.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidizen avatar image davidizen nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Nick,

I will post pictures this evening. I have an RJ45 from multi to the Cerbo, the other RJ45 on the multi is empty. The port I am using on the Cerbo for this connection is the one directly behind the Cerbo’s Ethernet connector. It is labelled VE.Bus (along with the port next to it) and I double checked my sanity by watching Victron’s video describing the ports of the Cerbo GX.

I’m now wondering whether I can use VictronConnect by taking an RJ45 from the multi directly to the MK3 (and into the PC) - that’s not something I’ve done, I’ve always left the cable in place between multi and GX, then used the other GX vebus port for a cable to the MK3; thinking about it that can’t be necessary as people will want to program the multi when they don’t use a GX…. But I don’t expect that is preventing the multi from being visible in VRM, and I think my daisy-chaining has proven that all multi and GX vebus ports do work as expected (otherwise VictronConnect would not display data).

0 Likes 0 ·
davidizen avatar image davidizen davidizen commented ·
Should have mentioned I have disconnected the cable from GX to MK3 after the fw upgrade as advised.
0 Likes 0 ·
davidizen avatar image davidizen davidizen commented ·

3 new pictures added, showing the vebus connection at the GX, the vebus connection at the multi and the overall layout. No change in behaviour, still no AC input, AC Loads, nor multi showing up as a device in VRM.

IMG_3524.jpegIMG_3526.jpegIMG_3525.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-3524.jpeg (1.4 MiB)
img-3526.jpeg (2.5 MiB)
img-3525.jpeg (4.6 MiB)
bartrs avatar image bartrs commented ·

First of all, remove the Mk3.

The reason you don't see the Multi's AC values in VRM is because it's not directly connected to the Cerbo.

On the Cerbo: Use the VE-bus directly behind the ethernet connector, connect this to the Multi's VE-bus which is closest to the wall.

You can download and upload files from your Cerbo to the Multi by using remote VEConfig, no need for the Mk3.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidizen avatar image davidizen bartrs commented ·
Thank you - I believe the multi is directly connected to the Cerbo - please see the pics I posted above.

Good to know about downloading and uploading files, appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidizen avatar image davidizen bartrs commented ·

Thank you - I found that thread earlier and excitedly went out to the multi with a headphone jack, only to find the Multiplus II doesn’t have the 3.5mm jack, it has a connector with 3 cable inputs per the picture I posted above to show the vebus outputs on the multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image bartrs davidizen commented ·

I'm sorry, I didn't look properly at your picture. Both my Multiplus 2 have that headphone socket.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic