question

kuvette avatar image
kuvette asked

Snow situation

Hello community,

I have a situation with a victron system and would like to enjoy your advices.

My friend equip an off grid forest house with solar panels. Also, there's a 4g router and video survey. The house is empty during the winter. Problem is that during snowfalls the solar panels do not charge the batteries anymore so they eventually dies because of the constant drain from the video camera, and 4g router.

Adding a generator would be a solution but I was wondering if you guys could have an alternative in mind.

I think a simpler thing would be to ask the system to turn the AC power off during a certain amount of time, and then turn it back on. Like a timer. So it will almost consume no power until it reboot the router when AC comes back so we can check if the snow is gone or put the system back to sleep if not.

Do you think it would work? Do you know if it is possible to set a fonction like this?

Thanks

Cerbo gx

MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 (ACOut2 switchable)

Pylontech battery

SmartSolar Charger MPPT 250/70 rev2

remote console
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·

Does he use 5 panels in series and two parallel?

How much total power is installed?

I get on a 150/70 with 1860Wp non optimal flat installed in a 24V System around 360Wh a day (December) in Estonia.

I assume, he has 4kWp installed and I would suggest, to put the Solarpanels in the Winter in an angle of 70-80 degree which prevent snow is laying on it and produce in the winter MUCH more energy.

I testet it with five 410Wp modules and they produced 4-5 times more energy in this way (better angle and higher voltage).

Hence the 500Wh power consumption of the MultiPlus-II was covered and also the Security System plus Video Surveillance.

Have a niceday

1 Like 1 ·
6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Kuvette

You would have to either set up the generator function on the GX with the relay controlling the inverterremote on off (use that as a timer) or use node red to do the same thing.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kuvette avatar image kuvette commented ·

@Alexandra,

Thanks for your reply.

So I would use the generator function that would turn off inverter mode when battery is low, then turn it back on when it's high enough? That's genius.

How do I wire this relay to the inverterremote on off?

Node red looks a little complicated for me...

0 Likes 0 ·

Should I use VE.bus quick configure set up, ve. Bus system configurator, ve configure or victron connect?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kuvette commented ·
Yeah the node red is a deep end to dive into.

You can use the GX relay and the remote on the bottom of the unit (see connection j) All the remote needs is a close to switch on.

So it does require a bit of rewiring, in the relay menu set to generator and the generator start stop menu to set it up.

If you can't get to site for physical wiring changes, then the only way would be to use the low shut down and restart on the inverter tab with ve config.

1 Like 1 ·
kuvette avatar image
kuvette answered ·

I can go on site to wire it, also I'm sure I'll find the the set in the menus.

Just to make sure, when I look at the link you sent me, on J, I can read : Connector for remote switch: Short to switch “on”.

So It will turn off?

I think I need the system to switch to "charger only" when battery is low because of the snow. Then, when the snow is melting, the battery will charge again and the system will switch to "charger and inverter" automatically and give power back to the router and cameras.

Of it turn off, it won't charge anymore right?

2 comments
2 |3000

The multiplus will turn off. And it has nothing to do with the solar panel charger right?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
You have to make sure that the router is not powered from the MultiPlus otherwise you can't switch the system back on.

The router have to be powered directly from the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Maybe adding some panels vertically on a wall or fence can help.
They can't be covered by snow.

2 |3000

kuvette avatar image
kuvette answered ·

@Matthias Lange - DE i'm trying to find a solution without adding cost. I can't keep the router running, it will drain the battery out.

Is there a way to switch the system from "on" to "charger only" by using the generator relay?

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
In "charger-only" mode the AC Out put is OFF -> no internet
1 Like 1 ·
kuvette avatar image kuvette Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Yes, I get that, that is what I need. But is there a way to switch back to the "on" mode automatically with the generator relay?
0 Likes 0 ·
kuvette avatar image
kuvette answered ·

@Michelle Konzack

Hello Michelle, I'm sorry I hasn't see your reply....

It's 5 panels on the roof. The house is not very well expose to the sun. Whe' it charge to the max, it makes 2kw.

The router and cameras consumption is OK, but when there's snow, it kills the battery in 4 days.

I'll check how to put the solar panels to an 80degres angle it might be the best solution indeed.

2 |3000

elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

I mount my solar panels on hinges from the top.

Angled out in summer and lay flat against the cabin wall in winter.

No snow issues.

2 |3000