question

cstenger avatar image
cstenger asked

Reverse charging with Orion XS

Folks, now that Victron has released the new Orion that's finally (almost) fully configurable, wouldn't it be nice to have a 'reverse charging' option?

Currently I use the Votronic Standby Charger Pro feed by my MPPTs load output to maintain starter battery charge by around 13.5V

Much smarter would be to have two charging sets available within the Orion XS configuration:

Engine running: IN to OUT with LiFePO4 parameter set
Engine off: OUT to IN with Lead Acid parameter set

But I reckon it's not possible due to limitations by the actual circuits.

battery chargingorion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @cstenger,

To give you some hope it is technically possible with the hardware, it’s bi-directional.

To set the expectation though, there is no support for it now in firmware, it hasn’t been tested, it would take a long time to develop, there is no timeline to develop it, and the R&D team for that product has a long list of higher priorities for features and future models. We don’t promote it, even as a future feature. It may or may not ever come.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cstenger avatar image cstenger commented ·

Understood. But nice to know it would be possible. Theoretically.

Features like VE.network support for proper voltage readings are WAY more important for us as users. And for you to catch up with competitor DC/DC Chargers like Votronic ;-)

Thanks!

2 Likes 2 ·