question

dominikmp avatar image
dominikmp asked

Question about Exide Sonnenschein dryfit A602 Solar

Hello everyone,

I'm new in this forum and i've got i question about the exide A602 solar batteries:

I've installed a multi plus II 3kVA with 12 single cell batteries to reach 24 volts.

I set the absorption voltage to 28,2V (2,35V/Cell) and the float voltage to 27,6V

In absorption phase, one cell reached 2,5V-2,55V, so i stopped charging, because i'm scared do damage the cells.

Does anyone know if this is normal, should i continue charging the cells?

Thanks

Regards, Dominik

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Guessing these aren't lithium, but a lead based chemistry. Ideally they should be fully or equally charged before installation.

Small imbalances will even out at float voltage. But not ideal here. I guess you have no suitable charger for the individual cells. Suggest you connect a load like a light bulb across the high cell, lower it's voltage. Then restart the charge. But check voltage after the cell has rested for a while. You may need to do this with other cells. It's going to take a while, sorry.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dominikmp avatar image
dominikmp answered ·

Hey,

Yes, i don't have a charger for charging them seperatly. If I check the Cell Voltage, when it's idle (not charging\not discharging) for a while , there is almost no difference between the cells (<0,01V).

I also think there ist a small im balance between the cells.

Now, i plan to do the following:

-> charge the batteries in float mode for a longer timer period to even them out.

-> if one cell is to high, i will discharge them with a small resistor like you described.

i also found in a Victron Mppt manual some interesting information:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_150-60_up_to_250-70/en/configuration-and-settings.html

theres an "equalization mode", where the cell voltage is up to 2,65V/cell (31,8V)

So in conclusion, my cell with a voltage of 2,55V should be fine or am i wrong?

1706112810913.png

Regards

Dominik

1706112810913.png (61.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Cell voltage should be set according to battery maker specifications. In the Victron chargers, this is the absorption voltage.

Only use equalisation if recommended by the battery maker. It raises the voltage a lot and will lead to premature battery ageing.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@dominikmp The Victron absrop and float voltages above seem to match up with this Sonnenschein manual. Seek advice before equalizing your batteries above the recommended bulk / boost / absorp voltage.

a600.png

0 Likes 0 ·
a600.png (137.7 KiB)