question

Christopher A avatar image
Christopher A asked

MPPT 150/100 Temperature Compensation With Smart Sense

I have a MPPT 150/100 charge controller with a Smart Sense temperature sensor attached to 4, six volt AGM batteries in a series/parallel configuration of 2+2 for a 12V bank.

Is my math correct?

The specs for temperature compensation on the batteries are -5mV per cell/°C.

I have 12 (4X3) cells so that's .005 times 12 = -.060 /°C for the entire bank. I have the controller set at -.060. Does this look correct?

temperature compensation
batt.jpg (88.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

First of all, you have a 12V battery bank, so that's six cells in series. So 5mV * 6 = 30mV for the battery bank.

The next mistake you have made (based on your calculation of 5mV * 12 = 60mV), is that you have input 0.06mV (60μV) instead of 60mV.

So, you need to set 30mV for your setup.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Christopher A avatar image Christopher A commented ·

Thank you for the reply.

Looks like I was way off. Hope I didn't damage the cells. One question is the number of cells the MFG states on a 6 V battery is 3 cells each battery. I have 4 batteries in a 12V configuration, two parallel strings of two series. Does one add up the parallel string for the temperature compensation or just use the figures of one 12V string?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic