question

Jaison Curtis avatar image
Jaison Curtis asked

Multiplus operation without a battery

I have read variations of this question here, but there seems to be conflicting answers.

I want to install a Multiplus right away but the battery bank I have ordered will be 6 weeks arriving in stock.

At the moment I have the AC in and two output circuits wired to a junction box ready to place on the Multiplus when it is fitted.

My question is: Will I be able to wire AC in and the two AC outs directly to the Multiplus instead of the junction box and have my house powered from the grid as it is now?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jaison Curtis avatar image Jaison Curtis commented ·

Thank you all for your comments. If there is a risk of damage I will wait until I have the batteries before installing.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Dave van Dongen avatar image
Dave van Dongen answered ·

You can try, but I am pretty sure the Multiplus only works with a battery and not without a battery. But you can try, I don't think you can do any damage by trying this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

I once forgot to switch off the panels, the Multigrid I had kept on running without any batteries.

Not sure what would happen if the panels stopped producing or produced less than the load.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The multi can start, but it is not good for the unit as the DC voltage can swing wildly.

it can turn off again with a low-voltage alarm, or with 'high dc-ripple' alarm.

If you also have MPPT's installed, you can get some wild voltage swings, and probably a 'high dc-ripple' alarm.

My advice would be to install a bypass switch / maintenance switch to be able to bypass the Multi, this way you can also install all wiring now.

2 |3000

cadoxa avatar image
cadoxa answered ·

Hi I have a Quattro, currently without batteries also, and as lond as the MPPT can provide power you will be Ok. As the sun goes down and the MPPT stops providing juice the Quattro/Multi becomes erratic. The workaround I found wast to configure de ESS on the Color display to "Managed by external source", next morning you can switch back to whatever program you had selected. This is working fine for me...

2 |3000