question

drizzt321 avatar image
drizzt321 asked

MultiPlus II 120v settings/monitor/control question

For the MultiPlus-II 12v 3000VA let me use VE.Bus dongle (https://www.victronenergy.com/communication-centres/ve-bus-smart-dongle) to configure/control/monitor all possible settings (e.g. charger settings for custom battery, lower charge rate, etc)? What I'm seeing in the Demo of the Victron App makes me think I can, but https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/82934/multiplus-settings-with-ve-bus-smart-dongle.html makes me think I can't. So tell me Victron, what's the real capabilities?

Multiplus-IIBluetoothVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Drizzt321

No, you can only change setting with the MK3 to usb adaptor. (Unless you buy a smart inverter.)

The ve bus smart dongle is different. It is designed for monitoring. See the product page. And the manual for what is possible. But it is limited to invert on of charging and I put current limit changes.

There is no demo for the ve bus smart dongle? Or have I developed selective sight and missed it?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drizzt321 avatar image
drizzt321 answered ·

@Alexandra ok, that makes it clearer. But given the confusion, Victron should update the product page a bit more. If they simply put the "features & functionalities" section in the linked documentation in the product page, doesn't seem like there'd be any confusion.

And strikes me as really, REALLY annoying and crappy that I can't configure it via VictronConnect app just like I can the SmartSolar, Orion Tr, BMV-712. Seems pretty silly not to allow customers to configure everything through one interface. What's different for the USB VE.Bus mk3 that the VE.Bus Smart Dongle doesn't do? Should be mostly just a dumb "pass the bits back and forth" channel.

I'd love to hear from Victron what the technical reason is that you can't properly configure that way. Seems like some artificial product segmentation from the GX, yet it specifically calls the Smart Dongle as "...a great alternative in caravans, smaller yachts and motor homes for which the Color Control GX or Venus GX are a step too far."

Smells like "buy _both_ dongles to get your system setup and monitor it", aka make us pay twice. For a system installer person, not too big a deal since the USB would be what they'd use, and leave the Smart Dongle for monitoring, but for the rest of us... Makes me tempted to buy the USB, setup, and return. Except far, FAR too many returns just end up in landfills.

Also very important, why the heck can't I update the firmware that way? I can with my other Victron devices over BT.

Also, in reference to the VE.Smart network to share battery info, I already have BMV-712, why can't the VE.Bus Smart Dongle _read_ that data to pass it to VE.Bus?

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

This is not actually an ask victron forum. So while they do hang around there are more official channels.

With the small team Victron keeps I don't even know how they crank out what they do. All official support and distribution is done through their networks.

The newer products can be done on the fly and with Victron connect and fw updates with BT like the others. So yes you can don't choose a ve bus product. Some of them have built in shunts so you won't even need a BMV (like the inverter rs.)

The ve bus dongle page is clear. It is just for monitoring. And it never claims to be anything else. It was meant to add some BT function to older units. So Increase functions instead of replacing the whole thing. Neat way to keep the e-waste down and still give a cheaper option for those who want something simple. It is an older product.

It does not seem to be the product for you though. Doesn't meet your needs.

The inverters were not designed to smart network. If your system is not complex then voltage and amps based charge stages will be enough. (The simple answer is firmware and maybe hardware capabilities for the SOC pass on feature - would be nice though) And Victron are cooking up some large features right now.

0 Likes 0 ·
drizzt321 avatar image drizzt321 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

It's not that it's complicated, it's that it's small. A small travel trailer (caravan for you EU folks), and I'm trying to run everything off of 12v I can, but having a modest inverter/charger would be nice and useful.

And "doesn't meet my needs" is incorrect. My needs are for a modest inverter/charger. I've contemplated Phoenix 12/1200VA inverter and a Smart Charger 50a, but 1200VA is a touch too small. The old MultiPlus 1600VA would be perfect, but it's 240V AC only, and while MultiPlus Compact has a 1600VA, that's also AC only, vs the MultiPlus Compact 2000VA does have a 120v. But the Compact is pretty old, and the manual doesn't talk about settings for LiFePO4 batteries, although I'm going to presume I can, via the USB VE.Bus, tweak the charger parameters to fit my battery.

It's actually kinda confusing, because there is multiple "MultiPlus" products, and their product page doesn't actually mention Compact for what is actually the MultiPlus Compact, and there is what appears to be 2 different versions/generations of "MultiPlus", the 500-1600VA and the 2000VA. Which is distinct from the MultiPlus Compact 2000VA. But does also have a 120v variant.

Also, it's really confusing because Victron Connect, because it _does_ talk about configuring VE.Bus devices (https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_configuration_guide_for_VE.Bus_products/en/index-en.html), although yes, it does mention the Smart Dongle can't configure. But it also talks about that it can be done with the Android VictronConnect app too. I do realize I can use an adapter to use the USB VE.Bus, but it makes for a less than clear situation until you read into everything.

Unfortunately, I don't _have_ any real support because I didn't purchase through any network (just via Amazon) because I did my own installation. So who do I actually contact for official support? I can't. Other than here.

So while I'm generally understanding of slower response times, I still do want/expect at least some level of official support for direct to user when it comes to paying this much for a product. A great product that Just Works(tm) as specified, but even so. I'm just incredibly frustrated at trying to sort through all the options and possibilities and not finding something closer that meets my needs because Victron (understandably) prioritizes their EU business for new products. And keeps apparently a ton of overlapping products in the supply chain.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ drizzt321 commented ·

Since Victron does not sell directly to the end-user, Victron also does not directly support the end-user (beyond the vast array of published specs, manuals, videos, and etc), instead relying on their distribution network as detailed in the "who to contact" detail page: https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy?open_modal=who-to-contact

Amazon sellers of Victron components are authorized Victron dealers or distributors, so the seller of your MultiPlus is still your support channel! If you go to your Amazon order history and click on the order details, it will show "sold by", and that will be your point of contact for first-level technical support; alternatively, you can find the original distributor of your unit by entering your unit's serial number into the Victron Support page: https://www.victronenergy.com/support

0 Likes 0 ·