question

tronengineer avatar image
tronengineer asked

Running 12V fridge, lights and sockets camping, whilst using a Victron 12V 7A Smart Charger

G'day,

I have a Victron 12V 7A Smart Charger for my 150Ah lithium deep cycle battery. Whilst camping with mains (240V) power, I would like to charge my lithium battery. During this time I plan to run my Dometic 12V fridge, LED strip lights and USB charging sockets.

Will these loads have any negative impact on my battery or smart charger?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

The only problem I is see is plugging the camper into mains while using the Victron charger. You shouldn't have both your camper and Victron charger charging the battery at the same time as they are not aware of one another.

However It can easily be done if your rig has a battery isolation switch and is turned to the OFF position completely isolating the camper from the battery. That way the camper's own converter/charger can supply power from the mains to both 240V and 12 volt circuits at the same time. With the switch in the OFF position all charging is cut off from the camper. This allows you to charge the battery with the Victron unit exclusively. If fact I sometimes do so myself.

Having said all that first make sure your camper can operate that way. Most can but check the specs of the converter/charger first.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.