question

jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel asked

Remote VE.Configure failed, MP inoperable

Hi all,

Last week I tried updating the config of a MP remotely. I downloaded the config via VRM, updated the config via VE.Configure, then uploaded the modified file. The MP shut down, which also powered down Venus and the internet connection (as expected and as per the documentation).

The config changes were LVD and PV Inverter assistent changes (different frequency range).

The MP showed three blinking yellow LEDs and a blinking red LED (low battery). It turns out that I picked the exact threshold for the LVD, which prevented the MP from restarting (I'll check that next time!). The three blinking yellow LEDs (bulk, absorption and float) were a bit of a concern though: according to the manual this means "Hardware or EEPROM error".

VRM showed the following error:

Switching the MP off, then back on, cleared the three blinking yellow LEDs but (of course) Low Battery remained and as a result the MP did not start up. After connecting a laptop and changing the LVD parameters, the MP started successfully, after which I could also make the required changes to the PV inverter assistant (it seems none of the changes made remotely made it to the MP).

My questions:

- why was the MP showing three blinking yellow LEDs? Is this a concern or expected behaviour in this scenario?

- did the MP not restart because of the Low Battery condition or because the update failed (or both)?

- is it possible to use Remote VE.Configure to remotely update a MP knowing Venus will shutdown and internet connectivity will be lost temporarily in this scenario?

- is it possible to check the current battery voltage and warn the user if the updated config would result in the MP staying off? While I could agree that the operator needs to double check this before uploading the new config file, it would be nice (and smart) if VE.Configure would check this (assuming it can).

regards,
Jan

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

My questions:

- why was the MP showing three blinking yellow LEDs? Is this a concern or expected behaviour in this scenario?

Please download the Victron Toolkit app as this will tell you what the flashing lights mean

- did the MP not restart because of the Low Battery condition or because the update failed (or both)?

Could be one or the other

- is it possible to use Remote VE.Configure to remotely update a MP knowing Venus will shutdown and internet connectivity will be lost temporarily in this scenario?

Yes this is suppose to be ok as far as I know

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.