question

ertcom avatar image
ertcom asked

PV Inverter Support Assistant suitable for UPS

I am using a Multiplus IIGX 3000/48 as a UPS (Australia). I also have house grid connected SunnyBoy PV 1.5kw. If I use the PV Inverter Support Assistant will a) the PV inverter feed to the grid through the MPII when connected to AC out1 and b) provide PV AC to critical loads when the grid is down and c) when the grid is down, protect the battery from overcharging. I'm not sure if I should use this assistant or ESS. I am not trying to timeshift energy usage, just provide a reliable UPS. David

Multiplus-IIAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

ESS if grid connected. The manual says it frequency shifts. I don't personally use SMA so can't confirm.

PV assistant for off grid. With this one, if you connect a grid source or generator the PV ramps down to no production.

See the manual here on AC coupled systems.

SMA don't have a great amount of support, so you may find yourself scouring the forum more. There is a short set up page here for communication.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
On a short side note. I have seen the use of AC2 out put programmed to start the PV like a generator. So that may also be an option for control.
0 Likes 0 ·
ertcom avatar image
ertcom answered ·

Thanks Alexandra. Looks like ESS with "Keep Batteries Charged" is the closest setting to UPS.

2 |3000