question

tyler-pomerhn avatar image
tyler-pomerhn asked

Shunt AND Closed Loop?

I plan on using closed loop communication between server rack batteries capable of closed loop communication - reporting SoC, voltages, all kinds of things to the Cerbo... but I am also planning on using the Lynx system for connection of batteries and fusing all of the distribution DC wires.

If I were to also put in a Lynx Shunt between the Power In and the Distributors, AND I have the closed loop communication, how does Cerbo handle it when two different methods of measuring the same thing disagree? Who "wins" when, say, the Lynx Shunt is saying the SoC is 85%, but the batteries are reporting 95%, and you have AC in conditional disconnection set to 95%?

Obviously, deviation should, hopefully, be insignificant... but, the readings on the closed loop of the batteries will be about as exact as you can get (because the electronics reporting on these items are physically attached to battery cells), whereas the Lynx Shunt will be apart from the batteries by the wires from battery to server rack cabinet bus bar, bus bar to Power In, and then Power In to Shunt... even with dual 4/0 to each rack and solid crimps/lugs with proper torque (which is my plan), there will technically be SOME difference which could cause deviation of portions of a volt.

Should I:

- "Trust" closed loop the best because it's closest to the batteries, and not get the Shunt?

- Not do closed loop and only do the Shunt, so there's no confusion?

- Do both, in which case I would like to better understand how the Cerbo handles possible conflicts between reporting tools?

lynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Tyler Pomerhn

In DVCC you can set the system battery monitor to the one you want it to use for voltage. DVCC is usually how a can connected battery controls the system.

And you can set in system set up the one you want as a battery monitor.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Not sure if you had seen the webinar.

Older firmware but the base is there

1 Like 1 ·
tyler-pomerhn avatar image tyler-pomerhn Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Awesome, thanks! I'll look for the webinar. I would prefer to have both, so in case the closed loop communication fails, it can switch over.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic