question

mattguy avatar image
mattguy asked

Preventing Flyback Transients when in absorption multiplus

Hey folks,

I've posted here a few times regards brief (<1s) voltage spikes I'm seeing during absorption of my internal BMS LFP battery.

In summary lowering the absorption from 14.4 to 14.06 (nominal 12.8v battery) helps a ton. The absorption cycle holds the voltage steady as a rock, but when large loads are placed on the battery such as fridge cycling, water pumps and macerator use it can style cause a spike after the load is removed.

At first I was very worried about cell balance issues, but I recently learned of flyback transients and was wondering if

1. These could be the cause as they only seem to come around when absorption current is very low ( <1amp) and after the fridge or pumps have cycled?

2. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

3. Still a cell balance issue?

Thanks all

battery chargingmultiplus ve.buslifepo
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mattguy avatar image
mattguy answered ·

1000015712.jpg

Spike right after load at 15:45 ish. Absorption cycle 1h so this is right at the end. Peak voltage this cycle was 14.17, which is fine, but sometimes the spime can be as high as 15+ volts

1000015712.jpg (262.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic