question

beau avatar image
beau asked

Connecting a charge controller to Easy Solar

Hello Victron fans,

I'm wondering if it is possible to run the cables from my SmartSolar MPPT 150/45 straight into the EasySolar 12/1600/70, instead of running all the way back to the batteries.

I bought the extra MPPT because the solar panels I have supply too much for the EasySolar MPPT.

Thanks in advance,

Beau

MPPT ControllersEasySolar All-in-Onesmart solar set-up help
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

It might be easier to rather make a DC busbar, have you considered this option? Also keep in mind voltage drop, as the MPPT senses battery voltage at its own battery terminals

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Beau. It should be ok to do that.

You should be able to see inside your Easy where it's internal mppt joins the battery terminals, perhaps with a large fuse in between (I'm not familiar with that model). If the fuse is adequate, you could tee in there.

But like Murraynated suggests, perhaps an external bus/isolator/breaker/fuse could be added.

But yes to using the big batt cables rather than running extra wires.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

beau avatar image
beau answered ·

Thank you both for the replies, I think for now I will wire the MPPT straight to the battery, via a breaker. I'm using 16mm2 cable spanning a 2m length which was sold with the MPPT so hopefully will be suitable. Thanks again.

2 |3000