question

Raj Laud avatar image
Raj Laud asked

Lynx Smart BMS - how does it detect charging voltage?

I'm having trouble waking up a Lynx Smart BMS that was put into hibernation by going below the discharge floor. If I understand the designed behavior correctly, it is supposed to wake up from hibernate when it senses a charging voltage. I've tested this behavior charging from a Multiplus II and it worked properly.

This time, I want to charge the battery from solar. I have two MPPT controllers connected over VE.Direct to a Cerbo, which uses DVCC to control the chargers. Solar power is available to charge the battery, but every 5 minutes when the BMS momentarily wakes up, it doesn't seem use it to charge the battery. Instead, the BMS goes back into hibernation.

Why can't solar charging be used to wake up the BMS from hibernation and charge the batteries?

lynx bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Raj Laud avatar image
Raj Laud answered ·

Bumping this old post. Any insight from the community, or from Victron?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

If i recall correctly, i think you cany use a small current charger for a longer time to wake things up. The output of the mppt chargers can be turned down to something like one amp via the bluetooth app. Not sure if DVCC will play well with this.

Do you have any other trickle charger that will output a very low current you can use?

1 comment
2 |3000

Raj Laud avatar image Raj Laud commented ·

Thanks. I think this is the best solution at this time. The downside is that the system can't automatically recover if, for example, the lithium batteries were shut down overnight (despite ample current being available for charging once the sun comes out in the morning). I think that's an unfortunate limitation.

In normal use, I'd just fire up a large charging source (the multiplus powered by shore power or a generator). This does work. I just liked the idea of a system that could recover on its own.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources