question

angeljia avatar image
angeljia asked

Buck Boost vs Lynx Smart BMS for alternator charging

Hi, I am in the planning stages of my camper van conversion. 2023 Ford transit AWD LWB. I plan to have an all victron system: one 24v Victron 100ah battery, and charge it with shore power and alternator power (no solar). I won’t have a lot of access to shore power so alternator charging is my main charging source. For alternator charger, I am debating between buck boost 50a plus VE.Bus BMS or Lynx smart BMS. I saw from Van Land YouTube channel that they are charging their batteries using Lynx smart BMS. What’s the pros and cons of each approach? The prices are similar. Thanks for your help!

alternatorlynx bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

hello @Angeljia ..I have tried to obtain some detailed information about the Buck Boost as it is availbale in higher current ratings than the Orion but I have struggled to get detailed information. It is a power supply so it doesnt have a charging algorithm like an Orion. It doesnt provide bulk, absorption and float stages but under the control of the Lynx Smart BMS it may be ok. It would need a smart Battery Protect module between the alternator and it so the BMS can disconnect the charging circuit if required using the ATC (allowed to charge ) output from the Lynx Smart BMS. That connects to Pin 2 (green wire ) on the Buck Boost. I thoughtt he CAN Bus output from the Lynx Smart BMS may connect to the CAN Bus input to the Buck Boost but from what I can gather, the CAN Bus input to the Buck Boost is only for a battery temperature sensor. It only has one CAN Bus port so I assume it is a terminating connection as no other socket is available for a CAN Bus termination.

I know the Buck Boost is attractive becasue of the higher current capacity but have you thought of using the Orion DC-DC charger and perhaps a couple in parallel? I like the idea that the Orion is a three stage charger but perhaps with lithium batteries and an external BMS system that may be old fashioned thinking.

I hope you find a suitable solution.

Regards,

Trevor

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

angeljia avatar image angeljia commented ·

Thank you Trevor for the detailed explanations. I now think Lynx smart BMS is an overkill for my modest system, so I am considering Buck boost 100 combined with VE.bus BMS. This solution is quite expensive. I wish Victron offered a 24v version of the Smart BMS CL 12/100. I am now considering buying a battery with internal BMS and combine with the new Sterling 12v/24v 120A dc-dc charger. It’s not available until next year, but I am not in a rush. This is a much cheaper solution and delivers all the features I need. I’ve also thought about connecting 2 orions together. This feels clumsy to me, as I am buying two items to do the job that should be handled by one item. I don’t want to do that. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

LED indications, warnings, alarm and error codes

Lynx Smart BMS product page

Lynx Smart BMS online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic