question

taj avatar image
taj asked

no connection with Bluetooth on Android 5.1

Just bought this device with no built-in bluetooth, so I'd had to buy the ve-direct-smart-bluetooth-dongle. Connecting the dongle following the instructions from ve, but everything that appears in the device list, is the dongle itself, which hangs in update mode (blue & red led's blinking fast) Using the latest Victron Connect 5.8 on Android 5.1

With an established dataconnection and bluetooth on, there's no more response than the blinkin' dongle. Not able to pair because of wrong PIN-code and not able to enter any, because there's no option.

The smart dongle appears in the list of available connections in the phone's bluetooth menue, but also, no way to enter any code.

What can I do to force Victron Connect to show the Blue Solar 75|15 ?

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
taj avatar image
taj answered ·

btw: from VE's website:

Android 5

The pairing does not work on some devices running Android 5. The pin code popup does not appear, or it appears without a text field to enter the PIN code. If you have this situation on your device, the phone/tablet might report that it has been paired with the Victron product - but it has not.

Unfortunately this is a bug in Android over which we have no control, and are therefore unable to fix.

Devices where we have seen this issue are:

• Asus Zenfone 2 with 5.0 ← Android 6 is available, update the phone to solve the issue

• Motorola Moto G 2 ← Android 6 is available, update the phone to solve the issue

• Medion tablet with Android 5.

my phone is a Huawei LUA-L22

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What PIN do you enter? The default pin is 000000.

2 comments
2 |3000

taj avatar image taj commented ·

As I wrote before: There were no option to enter a PIN. I've connected the dongle with the MPPT and the MPPT with my battery. Then startet Victron Connect and enabled bluetooth. Victron Connect shows the dongle. The dongle is fast blinkin' blue and red. Touchin' the dongle symbol in VicCon shows something like "incorrect PIN. default is 000000, disconnect paired devices and try again".

That's all. No option to enter a code anywhere. If I connect a new device to my phone via bluetooth, there's a dialogue opening with a pair request, not so wiith the MPPT. In the phone's list of available (not connected!)devices, the dongle appears, but no option for further action at all.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ taj commented ·

Can you try to connect with another phone?

Android 5.1 is over 4 years old maybe there is a problem with that.

With the phone of a customer I had a similar problem. There came the "connecting sound" and then he had to pull down the status bar and there was a message for pairing, clicking on that showed up a dialog to enter the PIN.

0 Likes 0 ·
taj avatar image
taj answered ·

Unfortunately I do not have access to another phone. The procedure you'd described I tried several times with no success, On Victron's website I found out, that there were issues with Android 5.1 like mine. They say that that is an Android problem so they can't fix it. Hard to believe, as I can pair an 10 years old Samsung Netbook, a 2 years old Docking D-Fine bt-speaker or a JBL-Go bt-speaker without any probs. Talking to a friend, who ist a programmer and told me, that's an programming issue. Apart from that I read (here in the forum?), that some Victron devices has been delivered with such an old firmware, that Victron Connect is unable to detect them.

Will send the controller and the cable back and will give the smart version with built-in bt a try.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

"Unfortunately I do not have access to another phone"

Unfortunately your phone has to be BT-4 and BT-LE compatible. Then the phone manufacturer has to have applied the correct updates to the operating system for predictable operation of the hardware :(.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic