question

hase avatar image
hase asked

MPPT 100/20 Bluetooth connection problem

Hello Community!

I recently bought an MPPT 100/20 from Victron and it has been in use now for 3 months.

I had 5 freezes so far. The Bluetooth connection is not establishing, the app freezes at 20% connecting. After a while, all 3 leds of the device blink together 8 times and go normal (indicating charge state) again. The app recommends me to unpair the device, I did but nothing changes. I don't get the pairing popup even. When i unpower the device from pv and bat terminals and power again, I get the pairing popup and everything gets normal again for some time. I also tried rebooting my phone WO success when connection isn't happening.

On one freeze the device dropped the load with a fully charged battery (!). This is an absolute critical error because many times this devices are installed in unaccessible places and such a fault just isn't tollerable.

I'm on Huawei P9 plus with Android 7

Thank you for your reply.. I'll keep reading if any more info is needed.

Best regards!

Bluetooth
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hase avatar image hase commented ·

I forgot to mention I'm on the latest firmware and app version

0 Likes 0 ·

I chose to buy the original Victron mppt knowing there is a similar Chinese product for half of the price. It is disappointing to wait 5d for a forum answer and not get a support@Victron email in case i need help. Customer service is defently not the reason that justifies the price difference

0 Likes 0 ·
rhog avatar image rhog commented ·

I have exactly the same problem with my 2018 MPPT 100/30 smart solar charger. I use iPhoneX. When rebooting the charger, everything works fine for some time, then connection freezes at 20%. Same happens using other iphone. Any suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi hase. Don't be too hard on the forum'ers. It's perhaps safe to assume by now that your difficulty hasn't been experienced commonly. At least with that combo of kit..

I'd suggest you borrow another phone and take another look through here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start

Note the section on connectivity issues. Your phone may never have been tested, so nobody knows..

You bought good cutting-edge kit, not cheap Chinee. Good decision, despite your issue. Perhaps you're pioneering? Sure Victron comms can be challenging to the uninitiated, but worth persevering with.

Have a fiddle with a tested phone..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thanks John,

I agree, definitely the first thing to check is with another well tested phone.

Troubleshooting issues on the THOUSANDS of variants of android devices is a never-ending story. Thankfully it seems to be improving over time.

We rarely see any issues with iPhones, but most Android users do not like to hear that as a suggested solution :)

Sorry that this was overlooked, you initially "Answered" your own question. Which made it no longer show up on our "Unanswered" questions list. I will now convert your initial answers to comments and just leave the answers in place.

While we try to answer as quickly as we can, the best place to go for quick support is the shop the you purchased from - https://www.victronenergy.com/support

3 comments
2 |3000

Thank you very much for your reply.

Defently an iPhone is not an option for me.

As the problem disappears when i reboot the mppt, I'd not search the problem in the phone. If i can get a support email, I can make Bluetooth captures and send them to you when the freeze happens.

Oneplus one fron my wife behaves exacly the same.

What exactly is happening/is expected to happen in the connection stage when the app says 20% connecting?

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ hase commented ·

"What exactly is happening/is expected to happen in the connection stage when the app says 20% connecting?"

As far as I could figure out, the authentication process is happening at 20%.

Do you have 0000 as the bluetooth key? I have had problems with android phones hanging at 20% and the solution was to use 000000 (six zeros) as auth key when 0000 (four zeros) was ok on iphones.

Setting another key than 0000 did also work :o)

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
hase avatar image hase markus ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Markus, thank you for your reply. I am using a custom key, different from 0000 or 000000.

I think the best will be too make air captures at packet level and see what is going on. When the error happens, and i delete the mppt from paired devices i never get asked for the key when trying to connect. When i reboot the mppt and connect after, i instantly get the pin entry dialog

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic