question

punin avatar image
punin asked

Multi RS Solar 1 phase to 3 phase

Hello, I currently have 6 Pylontech US5000 batteries connected through a LYNX distributor to Multi RS Solar 48/6000 and Ekrano GX. My total solar power is 4kW. My electric panel is wired for three phase, but the grid connection is single phase 40A. I'm thinking of adding two more units. (I do understand I will overload the grid fuse if all three will charge the battery, so I will adjust the charge currents accordingly.) Alternatively I could just connect one of them to the grid.

Questions:

Can and should they all be connected to the same battery bank?

Can I expand my setup so that I will have three Multi RS Solar 48/6000 with 4kW solar each being fed AC through that single 40A phase from the grid and configure them for three phase output? I have no three phase motors so I will not mind all the three phases being in sync. Or should I just connect one of them to the grid? Will this then result in true 3-phase output?

3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @punin,

Sorry for the confusion, 1 phase in with 3 phase out is a supported configuration for the VE.Bus inverter chargers (such as Multiplus-II).

It is not yet a supported configuration for the VE.Can RS range (such as Multi-RS). However that is purely a matter of R&D priority and this feature will be made available in a future firmware update. Though there is no timeline for when that will happen yet.

I am currently working on improving the online training for the Multi RS to help make it clearer. The configuration method is also quite different so it’s all due for an update.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ryan Botha avatar image Ryan Botha commented ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Do you know when the online training for the Multi RS will become available? I have a three-phase installation that I am trying to commission. Everything is working as it should on the hardware side although I have had some issues with regards to the software side. Not getting the full readout on VRM and Victron Connect. Not sure if I have programmed it correctly. Only seeing L1 for AC input and output.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@punin

Yes they share a battery bank.

They will output three phase when you program them to do so.

I have not tried with single phase in with the Multi RS.

I am assuming you have not done a three phase system before with the questions you are asking. Take some time to read documentation from victron on it.

The manual is clear they do not support systems that are installed by inexperienced or untrained individuals.

2 |3000

punin avatar image
punin answered ·

They do not specify how and if 1 phase grid could be connected in such 3-phase setup, hence my question. Also, I have two 1st gen Multi RS Solar 48/6000 with single trackers. Can they be combined together with the new dual tracker Multi RS Solar 48/6000?

2 |3000

punin avatar image
punin answered ·

@Alexandra Ok I watched a bit of Victron Professional videos and it seems the best way forward is to connect just one Multi RS Solar 48/6000 to the grid. Next question is generation compatibility. I have two units with serials starting HQ2208. Can I be confident that the system will work with a newer generation unit that has dual trackers?

5 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@punin

Chatted to some colleagues. Since I had not tried it.

With the Multi RS is it currently not possible to have single phase on three phase out. Something that possibly needs to mentioned in the documentation

You may need to look at either have a separate inverter/charger from grid/generator not part of the system)

Or look at the VE bus models and remove switched as a group.

It is possible to combine all the models of multi RS including the ones without solar. This is mentioned in the manual for them under the section I linked above.

0 Likes 0 ·
punin avatar image punin Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Oh no!! I already ordered a third unit.. This sucks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ punin commented ·
Sorry it took a while. Busy time of year for us.
0 Likes 0 ·
punin avatar image punin punin commented ·
What if there is no input whatsoever? Can three produce three phase together from a common battery?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ punin commented ·

@punin will be perfectly ok.

You can even switch off phases separately if you set the setting for it. See the manual for more.

It is just if you need to charge from grid on a single phase then you need another way.

0 Likes 0 ·