question

jjduke avatar image
jjduke asked

ESS #3 on Cerbo console, ESS #4 on VRM bug?

This morning, the electrical compartment on my boat dropped to below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) as measured by a ruuvitag near the batteries (4 Smart Lithium 200Ah/25.6V) with a Lynx BMS). The BMS properly disconnected charging through the ATC relay. (There were no charge sources.) Venus OS (3.13~1) reported “ESS #3” and displayed it on the display (and Remote console). While this is a cryptic message and seemingly unrelated to my system which does not have ESS, I was able to decipher it correctly and verify that it was telling me that the battery could not be charged in this state.

However, at the same time, the VRM Dashboard was reporting “ESS #4”. This message is exactly opposite as ESS #3 and means that the BMS has issued a signal not to discharge. (ATD)

Here are screenshots of the situation:

I have searched the community for this and others have had a similar anomaly with other BMS’s and when the charging stopped due to high voltage shutoff this isn’t the case here.

1) Is this a bug in the VRM?

The local information is accurate (albeit, cryptic), but the VRM Dashboard is not correct.

Edit: third morning this has happened but today, I noticed the VRM Dashboard displayed “ESS #3” for about 3 seconds before changing to “ESS #4” and staying persistent as “ESS #4”

2) Could the console (Touch display and Remote console) display something similar to VictronConnect (third picture) such as “ATC OFF” instead of “ESS #3?”

Venus OSlynx bmssmart lithiumvrm bug
img-3708.png (135.4 KiB)
img-3707.png (210.9 KiB)
img-3711.png (164.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jjduke avatar image
jjduke answered ·

Update:

this ESS #3/#4 "bug" appears to be gone. It may have been that Venus OS and was sending these ESS #3 to VRM and after a few seconds, VRM changed it to ESS #4 (potential bug for ESS users). Since I don't use ESS...it wasn't applicable and was more distracting than useful.

For me, the bottom line is Venus OS no longer displays ESS #3 message when ATC is switched off due to low temp (<=5°C) and VRM no longer displays ESS #4 for the same condition. It would be nice for the console to display "ATC off" and VRM Dashboard to display the same, but there are workarounds (alerts) and menu "diving."

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jjduke avatar image jjduke commented ·

img-3839.pngimg-3841.pngThis VRM bug is back after a few weeks of VRM reporting correctly. I’m not really sure that any “ESS_” is an appropriate code to display on a marine installation since we don’t use ESS.

Since I’m answering myself, does anyone at Victron monitor these bug reports or is this not the right place to submit them?

0 Likes 0 ·
img-3841.png (136.6 KiB)
img-3839.png (207.5 KiB)

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

LED indications, warnings, alarm and error codes

Lynx Smart BMS product page

Lynx Smart BMS online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic