question

george-bajan avatar image
george-bajan asked

Cerbo GX freezes at 48V power supply, but fine at 12V

My Cerbo GX has S/N HQ22422MVFV, out-with the range of recorded problem 48V supply GXs.

I recently modified my system to power the GX from a plug-in 12V supply to the 48V (Pylontech) battery to reduce system components.

What was clear was the "sparking" noise each time the power cable was inserted in to the GX, and was not present with 12V. The GX then failed to communicate with VRM, as though communication had frozen. This continued as I reset the internet connection, rebooted the GX, failed to get Bluetooth communication, and so on. I reverted to the external 12V supply, and all suddenly worked properly.

Is the external 100 microFarad capacitor still needed with my installation?

My system is UK grid tied (230V) with an Aurora PV inverter (3.6KW), Victron 5000/70 charger/inverter, Pylontech US5000 batteries, and a 150 / 35 MPPT with (1.2KW).

gx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@George Bajan

If it if from the range that was indicated then yes.

The problem with the power supply was related to 48v systems.

Just FYI don't connect to live DC systems. Only power up after all connections are made.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

george-bajan avatar image george-bajan commented ·
Hi Alexandra, Thanks for the response. My GX does not fall in the range; so should be OK as indicated by the fact it did not fail catastrophically. While I agree that an independent on/off arrangement for the GX is preferable from DC systems, none is shown in any of the schematics I've found so far, and it would be a real pain in the backside in my configuration to have to switch off at the batteries. I do have a battery MCB, which I could try, but that would isolate DC other components like the Multiplus 2 and MPPT with its own complications, indicating a full system shutdown and restart would be required to shut down and restart the Cerbo GX............
0 Likes 0 ·