question

daza avatar image
daza asked

Max Grid Warning Alert Indicator UK feature

Bit of a warning for others in the UK to be on the lookout and if at least in the UK if we can have a grid high voltage warning and log.

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) @mvader (Victron Energy) @Matthias Lange - DE is there a way at least in the UK that we can get an alert for voltages over 253volts AC on the Grid side ie an easy to view without interrogating the log.

In the UK the grid is old and with constant innovations like battery and solar they are causing this aging grid issues with balancing before I got my Victron gear I had a voltage that was about 248 Volts AC and then I had a rewire of the house due partly because of an extension and wanting to split circuits ready for the Victron gear.

After the house was rewired approx a month or two all the lights started to flicker, I isolated the mains checked for any loss connections visually and smell nothing found called UK power networks and explained the issue 20mins later some of my neighbours are looking out of there windows the network failed on our phase.

Fixed in a couple of hours fast forward to today, all the Victron gear installed, EV charger installer complaining of high voltage saying one more volt and your charger will stop working and you‘ll have to power down and up to get it working again.

I knew what UK power networks would say ie it was the Victron equipment! lucky I had Shelly devices logging my voltage about 4 months prior to the Victron gear, which showed two months before the Victron gear I had a constant 250 Volts AC which some time at 1400 and 1900 went to 256 Volts AC for about half an hour this has happened consistently since I sent them 9 months worth of data.

UK power networks really don’t want to touch the transformer, on one of the calls trying to push the issue of over voltage I was told that electrical gear had been tested and could go to 300volts AC, might be back in the day with just a dumb motor and filament bulbs but electronics have less of a tolerance.

Voltage recorder installed and a voltage of 250volts at the head around 1700 to 1800 so people are home from school and load on the network, week later removed and got told three weeks later of chasing its all ok and with in tolerance as it was 248 Volts which didn‘t seem accurate as it was recorded by them in peak time of 250 volts seems like they are doing an average and told me I could get the EV manufacturer to up the voltage tolerance.

Yeah so we didn’t go with that option as that’s not a fix and my Caps in my devices are taking a beating yeah it’s for half an hour to an hour but vastly shorting the life of all my electrical devices.

I have been informed that after chasing that they are going to tap down my phase via the transformer. But it would be handy if there was a warning setting on the Victron that we could see at least in the UK if we had gone above 253 Volts and have it accessible for export.

Modds please feel free to move in the most appropriate section

grid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Daza

VRM allows custom alerts.

You can set up specific alerts for grid voltages there.

I would see about setting up node red to disconnect at the higher voltages.

For voltage spikes add SPDs into the circuits. Not sure what you will find that clamps at 250v most start at 270v

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Alexandra cheers mate I’ve got two SPD’s one on each CU mainly for lightning but these are not fixes and still allow the equipment to get hammered throughout its life shortening it, with the info at least we can go informed to the DNO for them to rectify.

ill have a look at the custom alerts never knew about that, everyone taking about red node I don’t even know where to begin with lol but the issue is I don’t want it to keep disconnecting and reconnecting as it’s just going to wear the kit out prematurely this is mainly a heads up to other people in the UK that could be experiencing fluctuating high voltage.

ill look at the VRM alert that you mentioned @Alexandra

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

So just had a call from the engineer the transformer is tapped down to its lowest which I can see dropped at 1300 on Wednesday to 245volts with the spikes at 1400 and 1900 making it jump to 248.5volts so not sure what happens around those times and I think this may put a nail in the head of a second AC array.

But think I need to put an alert as they said give them a call if it comes back.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic