question

jassmiths avatar image
jassmiths asked

SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 Remote Management

Hi Guys,

I've got the above Solar Charger and can connect to it via Bluetooth and the app however I was wondering if its possible to add Remote Management via WiFi so I can see stats etc when I'm not within bluetooth range?

Thanks!

MPPT ControllersVRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
David avatar image
David answered ·

Rather than a Venus GX or CCGX, you could add in a Raspberry Pi running the Venus OS, a VE.Direct to USB Cable, a 12V-5V 3Amp USB Adapter (most USB Sockets are borderline driving a Pi, which is why I am recommending a specific adapter) and you will have a way to be recording everything the MPPT is doing. All of this would be well under 100 USD/€ and would for your purposes be indentical to running the official Victron Venus GX.

You would need to have a way to connect to the internet of course - the Pi has built-in Wifi that works well so you could connect to whatever system you have available.

One note - this would give you Remote Monitoring of the data, and also the ability to remotely update the MPPT Firmware, but it would NOT give you Remote Management i.e. Configuration Adjustments of the MPPT Controller.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Unfortunately there is no simple way to get the MPPT transmitting data via WiFi.

If you add a Venus device (Venus GX or a CCGX) and a wireless router you could connect to the Venus device (Remote Console) via LAN and monitor anything that is connected to the Venus device.

Or you could look into using a VE.Direct LoRaWAN module, however this method has a number of limitations, particularly sample rate.

2 |3000

ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

Www.solaranzeige.de does that with a rasp Pi after some fiddling.

2 |3000