question

big-ste avatar image
big-ste asked

Bms cl 12/100 smart alternator charging issues

I have a 2022 RV with a smart alternator and smart bms cl 12/100 with a Victron 330 AH lithium battery. My issue is the battery is only getting charge when I lift off the throttle! most of the time the vehicle battery is at 12.7 volts until I lift off when it climbs to 14 volts and the bms starts charging until I press the accelerator again and it goes back to 12.7 volts. Help please?

battery chargingBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

What size fuse do you have in the BMS CL 12/100? It maybe that you are not putting enough demand on the alternator to keep it charging and so the car control systems shut the alternator down, voltage drops and the BMS CL 12/100 stops charging.

A lot of smart alternators control when the alternator generates and does not. As the BMS CL 12/100 requires > 13v to start charging, unless the alternator is generating greater than that it will not allow current to flow through. As soon as you accelerate the car control systems shuts down the alternator and so you do not have > 13v to trigger the BMS.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

big-ste avatar image big-ste commented ·
I have it set up with 2 x 30 amp fuses, giving me a maximum of 40 amp charge. Not sure what else I can do?
0 Likes 0 ·