question

ian0 avatar image
ian0 asked

Is the VE-CAN default network address fixed?

I have a Quattro. It uses a source (network) address of 0xE1 and 0xE2. (I know that I can edit it if necessary)

Are all Quattros shipped set to those network addresses?

VE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey, these are those addresses are dynamic.

Ie upon a conflict (two addresses that are the same at power-up/connection) one will automatically change itself.

As per the J1939 ACL procedure, ACL is short for address claim. To learn more, I recommend to google that.

Bu you can compare this to computer ip addresses in a LAN with a dhcp server, totally automatic, no need to worry about it, and most importantly: not to be relied upon for addressing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ian0 avatar image
ian0 answered ·

Thanks. I'll rewrite the question more clearly.. . .

My Quattro has set itself to 0xE1 and 0xE2.

If I bought another Quattro for a different project that will not be connected in any way to the first Quattro, would it set itself to 0xE1 and 0xE2?

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi,

Even though they seem quite static, those addresses are in reality dynamic. But stored on non-volatile memory so that unless the network changes (nodes added/removed) they'll be the same after a power cycle; and thus seem static.

That is all I can say about this I'm afraid.

Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
ian0 avatar image ian0 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you.

It's very useful to know that they won't change at random.

I am familiar with the Address Claim procedure, and that each device starts with an address it would like to claim, so presumed that a Quattro would claim the same address every time, if it could.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic