question

cyril avatar image
cyril asked

Ve.CAN / NMEA2000 - Battery charge state

Hello,

We would like to read the state of charge (SoC) of a battery using the BMV700 and the VE.Can interface.

It seems that the correct PGN is the 0x1F212 (DC Detailed Status, page 3 of Manual-BMV-NMEA-2000-EN.pdf ). But we can't find the document describing the details of this message in the document.

Is that the correct PGN to read? In this case, is there any document describing this message?

Maybe the information SoC 0x0FFF (see page 25 of VE.Can-registers-public.pdf) is the correct information to get? But this information is in read/write access and we are not sure that's the right information?

Thank you so much for your help!

Cyril

VE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Cyril, there are two ways to obtain SOC over canbus;

1) listen for the NMEA2000 PGN. For the correct PGN number, see our communication whitepaper. For the details of that PGN, you’ll have to purchase the standard from NMEA organisation or elsewhere find it. See FAQ in same whitepaper.

2) use the VREG equivalent. 0x0FFF looks to be the right one; yes

Or use ModbusTCP and a GX Device, more powerful and more simple than using canbus.

Matthijs

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sveinungkb avatar image sveinungkb commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) any tips on why I wouldn't get a response to VREQ of the 0x0FFF registry?

I posted some details in https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/210368/bmv-data-on-vecan-no-response-to-vreq.html, but I have a very similar problem with a Smart Shunt connected to a Cerbo but I'm not getting any response to my VREQs.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ sveinungkb commented ·
Hi, perhaps the NMEA2000-out feature, ie. the GX that’s in between, doesn’t support this.

Have you checked the NMEA2000-out documentation? Its in the GX manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
I checked myself just now and there is nothing in that chapter about this.

I’ll ask internally, but might take a while I’n afraid since the developer that knows most about this just now went on holiday for several weeks.

0 Likes 0 ·
sveinungkb avatar image sveinungkb mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for the quick response, and beating me to the documentation check while the US was asleep.

It's just strange to me that it doesn't allow the registries to be read.

It seems like the VE.Direct to NMEA2000 adapter supports this, I assumed the Cerbo would have the same functionality as it says that the adapter should not be used in favor of a GC device.

Let me know if anything else comes up or I'll check back in in a few weeks in case your colleague is back.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic