question

offgridshopeu avatar image
offgridshopeu asked

Cerbo GX MK2 - what are the differences?

What exactly are the differences between the "old" Cerbo GX and the new MK2 version?

Information that we got so far:

• Same form factor
  • All 3 USB ports now fully functional
  • Isolated VE.CAN
  • RJ45 ports have been rotated for easier access to remove cables (great news!)
  • Digital inputs now accept pulse wave
cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @offgridshop.eu,

You mostly have it.

It's the same enclosure, and almost the same electronics; except for:

• two fully functional CAN bus ports, called VE.Can 1 and VE.Can 2. Instead of one VE.Can and one BMS-Can port.
  • VE.Can 1 is isolated. On previous models, there was no isolated canbus port.
  • RJ-45 sockets have been rotated 180 degrees, so its easier to take the cables out.
  • All three USB ports are fully functional. Instead of two functional and one for power (to a GX Touch) only.
  • Digital inputs can do pulse counting.

This revision is most valuable for some very specific applications. Such as RV market in the US where a Lynx Smart BMS (VE.Can connection) as well as an RV-C port is required.

In the long run this new hardware revision will replace all Cerbos, so the name is mainly to help distinguish during the transition.

The reason for the price difference between MK1 and MK2, and no big announcement is to ensure that the limited initial stock of the MK2 only goes to those users who really need two full compatibility VE.Can interfaces.

For most users there is no big advantage to them having the MK2 over the MK1 right now, but MK1 will be phased out and replaced with the MK2 for everyone as we can increase production.

So to recap, we now have 3 models of Cerbo GX, and they are all differentiated around the CAN bus, and priced accordingly.

The Cerbo-S GX only has a single VE.Can port (note this is a significant limitation as if using a managed lithium battery).

The Cerbo GX has a single VE.Can port and a BMS-Can port.

The Cerbo GX MK2 has two VE.Can ports.

In the long run, (at this stage) we only plan to continue to produce the MK2, as stock of the other two models is used by those who don't require both VE.Can ports and would prefer to save some money instead.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jw1971 avatar image jw1971 commented ·
Did you also improve the WiFi performance? Lots of channel issues in the original Cerbo GX.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kienan avatar image Kienan commented ·
Thanks Guy!

My customers have really appreciated the lower cost Cerbo-S. If the MK2 is intended to ultimately replace both of the other cerbos (in the long run), then will there be a lower cost version (to replace the Cerbo-S)?

I understand that this is a long run question, and there's plenty of time till then, but I hope that we continue to see lower cost cerbo options rather than just getting rid of the -s. Honestly, the Cerbo-s is more than sufficient for most cabin systems.

Thanks so much!

Kienan

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave McGillen avatar image Dave McGillen commented ·

Guy - Will there be a future firmware upgrade for the original Cerbo GX to re-enable the third USB port currently set to power only back to a standard data USB port?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Dave McGillen commented ·
It is a hardware issue with the "old" Cerbo. That can't be fixed with software.

Just use an USB hub if you need more USB ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave McGillen avatar image Dave McGillen Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Many thanks Matthias - very much appreciated, it’s a shame the original Cerbo GX USB port was a powered and data capable port for the GX Colour Screen. I purchased a GlobalSat USB receiver (As recommended on the compatible list in the Cerbo Manual) and Tank Sensor as well as a GX GSM modem all USB plugins. The only alternative really is to purchase the SMA connected GPS active receiver for the modem or as you suggest an active USB hub, to free up a USB port.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·

Was the input voltage issue fixed? Or is it fixed in old one later production runs as well? https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/152325/cerbo-gx-geht-standig-kaputt.html @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Juha Tuomala commented ·
It was fixed quite some time ago, only earlier batches were affected.
0 Likes 0 ·
offgridshopeu answered ·

Thanks a lot, Guy!

2 |3000

offgridshopeu answered ·

One more question: Has the CPU been upgraded as well to the one of the Ekrano? We are using a lot of VE.Direct devices in our systems, so the limit of 15 devices has been a limitation sometimes. Would be great to have the possibility to add more to the Cerbo MK2!

4 comments
2 |3000

CPU of the Carbo GX remains the same, dual core.

CPU of the Ekrano GX is upgraded to quad code.

I have passed on the request to the development team that there is demand for a quad core Cerbo, but have no expectations that it is coming any time soon.

3 Likes 3 ·
kaz911 avatar image kaz911 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
One more vote for QuadCore Cerbo GX. For marine use it would be perfect.

The Ekrano is "ok" but 1 less tank sensor makes a £300 dent in the pocket for a VE.Can tank sensor. It is also an issue Ekrano have all wires to the unit - as units like that (on a boat) is often placed on a hinged "nav station panel" - so less cables to device - the better. So QuadCore Cerbo would be perfect.

Question - Multiple Cerbo/Ekrano's?: Could I run a Ekrano as primary and then have a Cerbo GX Mk2 as "no screen blind 2nd" and would they be happy with sensor inputs?

1 Like 1 ·
Markus avatar image Markus Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Mehr CPU-Leistung für ein großes Nod-Red-System ist gut

0 Likes 0 ·
hookem avatar image
hookem answered ·

Having 2 VE.Can ports on the Mk2 is a nice upgrade!
My MPPT controllers have VE.Can and VE.Direct connectivity, but the Cerbo/Touch can access a lot more information from them via the VE.Can interface, plus the Lynx Shunt is only VE.Can... And I had to give all that up to monitor my Lithionics batteries with RV-C via the single VE.Can port on the Cerbo (plus I had to install a VE.Direct Shunt, instead of the Lynx).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Mk2 and will be selling the Mk1 Cerbo GX.

1 comment
2 |3000

It was your use case exactly that was considered in this update.
1 Like 1 ·
Johan Ohrstedt avatar image
Johan Ohrstedt answered ·

Does this mean that it will be possible to connect it to the boat's NMEA2000 while att the same time connect it to the VE.Can network without risk of interference between the two buses as the VE-Can 1 port is isolated?

1 comment
2 |3000

I would think so, yes, but reluctant to say definitively without some time and experience in the market.
1 Like 1 ·
mark-smith avatar image
mark-smith answered ·

Will the new cerbo mk2 be UL certified for the North America market?

2 |3000

anthony avatar image
anthony answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) would it be possible to add metres/sec to the Pulse Meter menu in the Cerbo MK2 and also to be able to allow adjustment of the pulse rate input to for example 1.1176 m/s per Hz (1 Hz = 1 pulse/second) ? This is to enable wind speed measurement via the GX.1712916740056.png

1712916740056.png (29.7 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

I suppose it would be possible.

I will forward on the feature request.

1 Like 1 ·
anthony avatar image anthony Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you, I am more than happy to test and share outcomes.
0 Likes 0 ·