question

camil avatar image
camil asked

Why my inverter isn't giving full power ?

Hi all,

I have a new setup in a holiday van,

250w solar panel,

100/20 blue solar

Agm 120ah , 12v

Inverter phoenix 12/250VA connected to the battery with 6mm2 cables.

The question here is that, I noticed a little while ago that my inverter seems to be "limitations" the out power.

I could make the comparison with some electrónical devices. At first I figured that it might be from th chargers or the devices themselves having some issues. But after plugging these onto a regular house 230v AC I could definitely see a difference.

My computer than normally takes 2/3hours to be fully charged takes 5/6hours when plugged thru the inverter.

My AGM battery isnt always full when I use it but its far from being undercharged... And the inverter doesn't send any defaults mssages...

What could be wrong here ?

Phoenix InverterAGM Batterylow power
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
camil avatar image
camil answered ·

Let me know if more values are needed in order to help

The inverter is turning on normally and seems to work just fine apart the fact that it takes abnormally long to charge electronics

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ answered ·

Perhaps there is some voltage drop causing this issue? How long are the inverter cables? How powerful is your laptop charger?

Do you have access to a VE.Direct dongle to see the inverter data while working in the Victron app?

Br,

Kampingvan

2 |3000

camil avatar image
camil answered ·

Unfortunately I dont have the dongle yet...

The cables are really short actually, about 30/40cm

I couldn't see any voltage drops (concerning the battery) while charging.

I will redirect the experience with a voltmeter and take the voltage at the pins of the inverter itself.

The specs on the charger are 100/240v @ 50/60hzand the output is 5v 3a / 20v 2,25a

It should draw between 15 and 45w depending on the use of the computer while charging.

The battery of the computer is around 45wh, yet it charges in like 6hours wich means either the inverter dosnt send all power he can, either i have huge power loss somewhere... Is that a correct interpretation?

Note. I recently thought it might be the cold slowing the charging process (around 10°c these days ) could that be the cold ?

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@Camil do you have the inverter on "eco mode" ?
0 Likes 0 ·
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image KämpingVan Conversions OÜ commented ·

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer. Situation is pretty peculiar.

Did you manage to get the voltage on the pins of the inverter itself while charging the laptop and also without a load. Does it change?

I think the 10°c is not that bad and definitely should not impact the inverter.

BR,

Kampingvan

0 Likes 0 ·
camil avatar image
camil answered ·

No I run on the normal mode

This is another triggering point : the eco mode by default is supposed to turn on when a +15w charges is detected, however when I charge this computer (or a fast charge phone @30w) the inverter dosnt detect it and so dosnt start. That shows clearly that something is wrong ?

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Some loads wont trigger the inverter to start in eco mode.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The cut in for this in eco mode seems to be about 30-40W. It used to be as low as you say and the manual says.
0 Likes 0 ·
camil avatar image
camil answered ·

Ok, that is the value given in the book I have.

Well you guys let me know if this calculation and logic is relevant in that scenario... As I dont have any ve direct nor wattmeter, the way to figure at how many watts actually come out was for me to go as :

My laptop battery is 45wh, th'e charger should have a standard current of 5v/3A so more or less 15w of charge whenever the laptop isn't running that gives the average of 3 hours to charge it (Wich is the time it takes on regular power supply)

If here it takes about 6hours we have to go 45/6= 7,5wh.

I Knw there might be power loss and maybe a bit more due to the actual temperatures (about 10°c these days)

I tried many devices but it seems to "underpower" every one of them

2 |3000

k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

You have a voltmeter and a household energymeter? If not, buy them (less than 20€ each possible). Then you can: Measure the batt dc-Voltage (set range min.20Vdc on voltmeter). Dark morning, light midday, dark afternoon, or 7:00 11:00 13:00 17:00.

Measure Watt on a grid-line-outlet for the Charger-brick (your inverter loads). You might see peaks around 70-120W thats normal. Measure w/o pc. Stby & charging. (If its a charger made for HP you might see inverter-overload at start)

AES: many chargers need a few seconds to come up, give them time, screenshot-20231205-095943.png

or they will go off (not start). If thats the case every second start, your normally charging-time 3hrs became 6hrs.

[AES: these are my parameters working at 98/99% for a Sun 250 with a Eepc psu load - [ charger only / nur Ladegerät set to AES if you want use that ]]

You have "greyish weather"? (-> ~15% of 250W for 5-6hours -> max. 225Wh input a day).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic