question

raven21 avatar image
raven21 asked

How to send power back to the grid with my RV

I have the multiplus 24 volt 3000 and 1,480 watts of solar on my RV. I have solar on my house already and I'm plugged into a 50 amp cable from my house to my RV.

My batteries are always fully charged and my panels on my RV are just sitting there I would like to use that power (when my batteries are fully charged) and backfeed from my RV back to the grid through my 50 amp cable to produce more power for my house.

I seen someone on YouTube (overseas) say that this was possible with the multiplus inverter (he was actually doing it) that is already installed in my RV, i just don't know how to do it.

Does anyone know how to do it, (assuming that it's in the settings) once the batteries are fully charged (the multiplus converting it to AC power) puts the remaining solar power through the 50 amp cable back into my home?

Thanks.

grid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Feed back to grid from Victron components is not supported in North America; not sure where you are but the wording of the question makes me think you're over here somewhere.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raven21 avatar image raven21 commented ·
Yes I'm in California in the USA I forgot this is a global chat I should have pinpoint at my location.

Wow victron should allowed backfeed to the grid we paid for the components Victron shouldn't cheat us out from all the abilities that the system has.

Especially if that's the way to reduce power consumption since everyone is freaking out about the supposed climate change and all.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem raven21 commented ·
It is not Victron preventing this but rather the power companies providing grid service. They want to SUPPLY you power and charge you for it. They do not want to pay you for the energy you contribute to the grid.
2 Likes 2 ·
raven21 avatar image raven21 Kevin Windrem commented ·

Thanks everyone for your comments, I think you're all right. Victor inverters ability to backfeed to the grid is disabled in America that's a shame.

I might have to remove this victron inverter and look towards a hybrid inverter that back fees the grid they're out there.

I already found a 24V hybrid inverter (my battery being set up) with backfeeding to the grid, others are 48 volts which that can be set up also in an RV or motorhome with a reducer 48v-12v.

( note not all hybrid inverters back feed to the grid)

Whatever victron reason for not backfeeding the grid they better step up or they're going to miss out on revenue.

The victoron name is very popular in the RV community but the name can only go so far when other companies start stepping up their game and offering better features in their products.

Thanks again guys, everyone take care.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold answered ·

@Raven21 Search for Grid tie inverter

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Victron also prohibits feeding power back into the grid from a mobile (RV or boat) installation. I think that's mainly because of the plug-in connection to the grid and that could pose a shock hazard of pulled while feeding into the grid. The Multi will eventually shut down but not before lethal voltages are applied to the male pins on the plug.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic