question

bob-victron avatar image
bob-victron asked

Mounting a Multiplus 12/800 on its side

Hey!

I ordered a Multiplus 12/800 (230V - EU version / non-cabinet version, ie. plastic enclosure) for a DIY power station and I would like to make an enclosure while waiting for the inverted to be delivered otherwise I'd run out of time for an upcoming trip.

The power station will sometimes be used in an offroad vehicle (I planned to have soft rubber feet below the enclosure to mitigate vibrations + maybe some rubber stuff inside the enclosure).

I made a few enclosure sketches and the best variant is to have the Multiplus installed horizontally, on its side.There will be active cooling so the horizontal position should be OK. But what about mounting the inverter on its side? Replies in this post advise against doing so because of heavy transformers mounted on the side of the multiplus, but the post is about a much larger 12/3000 Multiplus with a metal cabinet.

I couldn't find pictures/videos of a plastic 12/800 teardown so no idea how/where the transformer(s) is(are) installed. Given the Multiplus' plastic enclosure I'd guess there's a single PCB, so there shouldn't be a difference between a vertical install, and a side, horizontal install (except if Victron engineers designed the transformer mounting hardware to be more sturdy in the vertical orientation).

Any clue?

Thanks!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@bob_victron

The older manuals say you can install them both horizontally and vertically. The one thing really is the 10cm space around it for cooling.

They do have a transformer and weigh close to 6.5kgs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bob-victron avatar image
bob-victron answered ·

@Alexandra - thanks, that's what I had read too, but in all the posts and manuals I've found before posting, "horizontal" was either explicitly stated as "on its back", or if not specified, it seemed implicit. I'd like to be 100% sure there won't be any issue mounting the inverter horizontally on its side so I'm trying to find an explicit reference (or an ack by Victron guys).

Would you (or any reader) happen to have a pic of the inverter's internals? That way I could see where/how the transformer is mounted...

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
The transformer is on the base there is not enough space on the sides. No, I do not have a picture.
0 Likes 0 ·