question

kevintearocean avatar image
kevintearocean asked

Getting BMS system out of protection mode

I'm in a yard period and the marina lost power. The batteries were depleted so the BMS has gone into protection mode. Its my understanding that the batteries have the be charged to a point where the system is at a safe voltage level before the system comes out of protection mode.

At the present time if I flip the shore breaker on, the system powers up for approximately 1 minute, then all 4 of the Skyllas go into failure mode and the system shuts down.

However as the Skylla chargers are part of the system - I need to get the system running so the Skyllas will start charging the batts, so in a catch 22.

I'm hoping there is a system reset, but I can't find anything in any of the manuals or on any forum for a workaround.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Kevin

battery chargingBMSbattery protect
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@kevin.tear.

It would be helpful to know what battery so we can help with the BMS...

0 Likes 0 ·
kevintearocean avatar image kevintearocean Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks @Alexandra - info on the system

Main service batteries

12 x Victron Energy Lithium-Ion 24V/180Ah

BMS:

2 x Lynx ION BMS 1000A

Chargers:

4 x Victron Energy Skylla-I 24V/100A

Any advice greatly appreciated

Kevin

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevintearocean commented ·

@kevin.tear

Is the led flashing at all? I portant to know how dead the system is.

Has this procedure not worked?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevintearocean avatar image kevintearocean Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Alexandra

I'm not on the boat right now, but system went dead overnight so batts are depleted. From memory. When turning on the shore breaker, the BMS LED is flashing and the Skyllar chargers go into bulk charge for approximately 1 minute, the the system goes dead with no lights.

I'll give the exact sequence as soon as I get back to the boat.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevintearocean commented ·

Since the system is quite dead it may be best to disconnect loads. Before trying to get the system to recover again. And maybe set a slightly high SOC for cut off.

Thank @Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) I decided to check them against each other and drowned myself. In the information. I should have checked before posting. My apologies @kevin.tear

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Do you have the start button wired in and a copy of the manual?
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources