question

davon avatar image
davon asked

Single Phase ESS in a 3Phase System

Hi Folks

I have read all the documentation I could find on the Victron site to understand the methodology around this system of a single phase inverter/charger connected to a three phase grid supply. could someone explain the mechanics on how the system manages the power between the three phases in "Total of all phases" to try and keep the power at the grid meter to Zero.

multi phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@Davon

Because Maths....

That is why the statement is made that is may not reflect the actual billing from your service provider....

There is no way it will be physically changing the energy on the other phases.

Not sure if you read this bit here.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/multiphase-regulation---further-information.html#UUID-09600a81-ae3d-8b42-9c9b-a35274184f00

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

This is only posible in theory.

Here an example:

You have a power cibsumotion of 1kW per phase and your MultiPlus is connected to L1.

You would assume, that IF you feed in 3kW on L1, you compensate the 2x 1kW from the other two phases.

From point technic it is true...

...but did you realy ZERO your bill?

The answer is NO, because lets asume you buy energy for 1€/kW and sell for 0,5€/kW,

Then you have compensated L1 to ZERO and sold 2kW which let you earn 2x 0,5€ hence 1€.

On L2 and L3 you had a consumption of 2x 1kWh hence 2kWh and you payed 2€ for it.

In sumnary yoz have still to pay 1€ for your consumption.

The realuty is even more worse, because you my sell back only forva tentht of the purchase price. And a power cibsumotion if 1kW per phase was only an example, because in reality it could be much more and I dubt, your Grid Provider will allow such enormis asymetric load.

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I forgot something.

There is a manufacturer which has Battery to Grid Inverter but I do not know, if they have also 3-phase inverters and if they can work with a Victron System

2 |3000

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

First of all, this may depend on the country your system is running and on whitch bases the bill is created. But what is a good indicator, if your meter has onyl one display/gauge showing the consumption. If there is only one, then how you could ever distinguish between the three phases at all? ;-)

That is, because the power meter is balancing/summing up the power of all three phases.

And because of this fact, you can deliver energy on one phase while consuming on another phase and the meter will show 0.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic