question

offgrid avatar image
offgrid asked

Can I add generic lithium batteries to Victron Lithium Smart batteries

Hi there,
I have an Easysolar 24/3000
running 2x Victron Lithium Blue Smart 12.8v 200ah batteries (wired in series to 24v)
The system uses a V.E Bus BMS to communicate with the batteries.

All seems to be running beautifully.

I'd like to double my battery capacity, but cannot afford to buy more Victron Blue Smart Lithium batteries.

I'd like to add some less expensive batteries
Can I just wire them in and tell the system I now have double the capacity?
Will the V.E. Bus BMS still do its job ok?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Cheers!! :)

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@OffGrid

You would need to make sure the ones you buy will match the charge profile of the Victron batteries.

Then you will need two bus bar with a shunt between to measure system SOC. Even then it is not likely they will not discharge evenly as internal resistance becomes a factor.

The VE Bus BMS would technically still function the same and limit charge and control as it did before as if the other ones do not exist. But expect weird behaviour since it does not control the other batteries as mentioned by @Justin Cook.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The Victron BMS cannot manage non-Victron batteries, so this will not function in a supported and warrantable fashion.

2 |3000

KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ answered ·

It is definitely not recommended to connect together batteries with different brand, capacity, even age, etc. specs. It will pose a real risk of damaging/reducing lifespan of either the existing batteries or the added batteries.

Best Regards,

KampingVan

www.kampingvan.ee

2 |3000

Related Resources